Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Desktop Computer Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ryrhino

ryrhino

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Wanting to buy a new desktop computer in the next month or so.  Would like to spend as little as possible. Budget of $300-$500.  Using computer to use internet, and other basic tasks. Don't need any bells and whistles.  Would like computer to last hopefully at least 5 years or more.
Any brands to avoid?  
What specs would you suggest?
Which version of Windows?  If I can find a computer with a version of Windows 7 which version is best?
Which websites offer the best deals to buy computers?
Would you suggest avoiding refurbished or  would that be a good option? 
Thanks for the help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

Don't need any bells and whistles. Using computer to use internet,

Think about installing or trying Linux on that PC, And it will cost you nothing, And you will be more secure on line.

#3 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

I agree with "BleepingDefenestraphobia" Linux is free, safer and accomplishes exactly what you described.  That's what I did. I bought a cheap Gateway Laptop at Best Buy for $310 with Windows 7  when they had a sale. Downloaded a Linux Mint .iso from distrowatch/Linux Mint links  and burned it to DVD Installed it and use Linux 99% of the Time. I update Windows 7 the rare times I use it.  I tried Tiger Direct, but only PCs they had out on display were the $700-$1000 super thin computers with the most expensive set ups. Best Buy is cheaper, even Walmart has PC's in that price range. Depends where you are. 

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

Defenestraphobia

A general fear of  Window's. This could be a fear that someone might be able to see you through the Window's. It could also be a fear of what you can’t see out the Window's once it gets booted, If it ever gets booted.  Many who suffer from Defenestraphobia will likely provide heavy, light restricting drapes or curtains over their Window's preferring a dark interior to a Window’s unknown operation.  And some will Format Windows and install Linux.

:hysterical: :hysterical:

"They say when you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear satanic messages ..... but that's nothing, if you play it forward it will install Windows"

Edited by NickAu1, 10 July 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

ryhino, I'm going to attempt to answer a few of your questions, hopefully will be of some assistance. 

1) For $300, don't expect much, yes you can get online, but don't expect quality video & don't expect to ride it hard. 

2) Moving closer to $500 will get you a Lot more, sites such as Newegg has units in that range, possibly one with a 3 year onsite warranty (a business type model). 

3) Avoid Acer, everyone whom I knew that had one doesn't anymore. These either broke, or were more trouble than worth. Gateway isn't much better. 

4) Specs, for $500, you may get a good i3 or mid range i5 with 4-6GB DDR3 1333-1600MHz RAM. 

5) Unless purchasing a refurbished computer, forget Windows 7 in that budget. This OS is in high demand, the same PC with same specs, with Windows 7 will cost $100 more than 8.1.

6) Newegg. OEM's are too pricey. Costco is a possibility. Wait a minute, this is the deal for you if you want Windows 7 under $500 with an i3. It won't last long & it's Pro as well. 

http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-3000-Desktop-%7c-Intel-Core-i3-%7c-Windows-7-Professional-.product.100120805.html

7) Only buy refurbished if you can't find what you want. 

Special Notes. 

Windows 7 computers aren't locked down by Secure Boot, nor has as much spyware as Windows 8.1 does. 

Some Windows 7 computers, especially Windows 7 Home Premium ones, won't be available after October 31. 

If you but a Windows 8 computer, make sure that it ships with 8.1, as Windows 8 will reach end of support as of January 16, 2016, if not upgraded to 8.1. Many customers are having issues with 8.1 upgrades. 

Warranty. Get a low cost SquareTrade Warranty for 4 years, it'll be less than what the OEM's charges for 1 extra year & there are promo codes for this. The cool thing about SquareTrade is, if the computer costs too much to repair, they refund the full purchase price of the computer. You're not stuck with an open box or refurb of the same model. You can take that cash to buy new technology with. It's important to get as long of a warranty as possible while new, a 4 year one for the model above, with a 30% discount code, would be around $80-90. This includes a shipping label if needed for you to print when needed. 

Recovery Media Creation. It's critical that you create this ASAP after getting it updated, but before uninstalling any junk software. This will consist of 3 to 5 DVD's and possible Recovery Drive also (16GB Flash drive needed). I have both. 

And create a Full System Image of your computer when new also, before the install of any extra software, other than MS Office, if needed. 

Hope this is of assistance & Happy Shopping.  :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 10 July 2014 - 11:35 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Do you think this would be a good buy?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Refurbished-110-023wb-Desktop-PC-With-Intel-Pentium-G2020T-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8-Monitor-Not-Included/29504661

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

Solid specs for the price and the application of uses. The advantage would the HP support as their website is epic because there is literally every single information about the system and the upgrades you can do with it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

As long as you're happy with the additional loss of privacy that come with Windows 8 & understand that if you don't upgrade to Windows 8.1 by January 12, 2016, your support will be gone. Note that many customers has found Windows 8.1 upgrades to be challenging, at the least. 

WalMart has brand spanking new 8.1 units for a few more dollars that you won't have to worry with upgrading. Check your local store stock. There was a $288 8.1 PC at my local one, brand new with full factory warranty, as well as a $300 one. 

I've not dealt with Wal Mart refurbished units in the past & likely never will. But $64.12 (18%) off of MSRP is way out of line for refurbished pricing. These units are closer to 50% off. Many stores will knock 18% off the price of a new computer to seal the deal. And don't expect much support from HP, am speaking as an owner of one that kicked the bucket in less than 4 years of ownership. Drivers are rarely updated. Not a single BIOS update, though I've confirmed there were at least two BIOS updates for that particular version. 

Be wary of HP, this is why WalMart is flooded with this brand, as well as the Compaq. For the budget that was in your OP, you can do better. If you purchase anyway & the deal is sour, at least you can't say you weren't warned. WalMart already carries some shabby products as new. What compels you to think a refurb (another customer's troubles) would be better? 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:45 AM

Which of these computers would be a better option?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-4gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/5859014.p?id=1219165153058&skuId=5859014&st=pcmcat143400050013_categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=2

OR

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-desktop-amd-a4-series-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/3418029.p?id=1219091217645&skuId=3418029&st=pcmcat143400050013_categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=1

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

I would shop further because Best Buy adds taxes & shipping, those costs could get you a better CPU, such as an i3. Though both of those says you can upgrade RAM to 16GB, it would be a waste of cash, as neither CPU could utilize the RAM to your advantage. 

This is a buyers market for PC's. 

Have you checked over the Newegg site really good? If you live in an area that doesn't collect sales tax at time of purchase & shipping's free, you could do better. I strongly recommend at least an i3 & 6 to 8GB RAM. Not too much, not too little. Pentiums & worse yet, Celeron CPU's are weak. The AMD A-4, though quad, is a measly 1.5GHz. The first time you try to watch a YouTube video in HD, you'll see what I mean. Just a little more money can get you a lot more. 

A last thing to keep in mind, if you want Windows 8, go with one that has 8.1 pre-installed. It's well documented that upgrades from 8 to 8.1 are a crap shoot at best. 

Cat

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:53 AM

What about this? Windows 7 Home Premium, i3 & 8GGB RAM. $2.99 Shipping, Plus in many areas, no taxes. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883156024

Cat

#12 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

Should this one be considered?  If I decide to buy this one should I buy the warranty?  Should it be the 3 or 4 year?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-F3E10AA-ABA-110-216-Desktop/dp/B00JAEXM3Y/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t#productDetails

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.  It is appricated.

Edited by ryrhino, 12 July 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#13 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

What about this? Windows 7 Home Premium, i3 & 8GGB RAM. $2.99 Shipping, Plus in many areas, no taxes. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883156024

Cat

I was hopeing to pay less.  Thanks for the suggestion.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

Should this one be considered?  If I decide to buy this one should I buy the warranty?  Should it be the 3 or 4 year?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-F3E10AA-ABA-110-216-Desktop/dp/B00JAEXM3Y/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t#productDetails

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.  It is appricated.

If so, most certainly 4 years at that price. 

The A-6 processor is a step about that of the one linked above with the A-4 one, which is too weak to run for hours on end (such as daily for 6-8+ hours). The A-6 can run 24/7. 

May be a hard deal to beat & only 2 are left. 

Like I stated earlier, this is a PC buyers market. Avoid Best Buy at all costs, as they'd never offer a warranty for that price & their "house" warranty is crap. They've been known to charge customers extra who bought extended warranties for repairs. Customers talks about these things & when many thinks of Best Buy, "crooks" is a common first word to come to mind. 

There's a good reason why Best Buy is biting the dust fast, they've created a bad name for themselves. Don't believe their side of it for one second, they blame online retailers (of which they're one themselves) for driving them to the verge of total liquidation. BB management didn't learn anything from how they managed to take over Circuit City years ago. History repeats itself once again. There are other electronic stores on the rise, hopefully they'll learn that customers doesn't prefer to be gouged for every cent possible during a sale, then get shoddy service in return. 

Online retailers, of which many have B&M stores, are good for the economy, are good for air quality (less pollution) & employs many through distribution centers. Amazon has drone shipping in their sights,  where some customers would get their product in minutes after payment, not days or a couple of weeks, plus A-1 customer service when an issue arises. 

If you get this one, good luck.  :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 July 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#15 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

Which of these computers is a better buy?  Which one is faster?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-OPTIPLEX-DESKTOP-COMPUTER-PC-DUAL-3-4-GHz-500GB-4GB-WINDOWS-7-/400723039838?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item5d4cf4565e#rwid

OR

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Refurbished-Black-6005-Pro-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Athlon-II-X2-Processor-4GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Professional-Monitor-Not-Included/23325250

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users