Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Questions - Install Preparation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dollerprod

dollerprod

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:15 PM

What up bleepingcomputer.. New to SSD-y stuff so please go easy and ELI5 if possible grin 

It's been ages since I bought a new system and I recently did for my fiance. She is pursuing becoming a photographer/videographer and needed something more suitable. Got her a refurb ASUS Q501LT. Thought she could really benefit from an SSD for speed and use the installed 750GB HDD, that comes with the machine, for external storage. 

The computer is on the way. Wanted to get the SSD in ASAP. Have these questions:

*Clean install or Clone? 
There will be no files/programs on the computer of hers (as it is new), so I thought fresh copy of Windows 8. However, I have read that with Windows 8 there is no longer a license key on the machine itself and it is embedded in BIOS?
*How will I install Windows to the SSD without a disk (I know it won't come with one + has no optical drive) or license key?
*Will I have to download an .iso from a torrent site or something similar and place on flash drive? 
*What about the key? Can I retrieve it? How will I activate?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

*Clean install or Clone?

Clean install. And if you have it Windows 7. Both would be my personal choices. Better yet get Linux.

:welcome:  To BC.

Edited by NickAu1, 10 July 2014 - 09:20 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

If the machine will be under warranty, do a clone on SSD and keep the original installation on separate partition until the warranty expires. Clean install may not be a stroll in the park for some people but it is a better alternative. But who knows, you may not need to do a clean install after the warranty has elapsed. For cloning, I recommend Macrium Reflect Free Edition.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 dollerprod

dollerprod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

*Clean install or Clone?

Clean install. And if you have it Windows 7. Both would be my personal choices. Better yet get Linux.

:welcome:  To BC.

If she were wanting to stick with Windows 8 (does Windows 7 support touch screen?), how would I go about a fresh install with 8? It would have to be done with a bootable USB (no optical drive).

If the machine will be under warranty, do a clone on SSD and keep the original installation on separate partition until the warranty expires. Clean install may not be a stroll in the park for some people but it is a better alternative. But who knows, you may not need to do a clean install after the warranty has elapsed. For cloning, I recommend Macrium Reflect Free Edition.

Why keep the original installation until the warranty expires? In case something happens I can re-load it (to not void warranty)? 

I am fine with cloning Windows from the drive that comes installed on the HDD the way the computer is sent, but the reason i want to know how I can just put a fresh copy of Windows 8 on the SSD is well.. what if I want to ditch any bloatware that comes with it. Cloning it will put all that on the SSD installation. ..Anyway, if I'm being honest about why I want to fresh install, it's really because I am curious how I would do so with Windows 8... There's no disk, no optical drive.. Where do I get the installation media from?? Where do I get my key to activate it? 

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:36 AM

How are you planning to integrate a SSD into the machine, if the laptop itself only has a 750GB HDD in the first place? Or unless, I read incorrectly, it sounds like you're going to switch up the HDD for the SSD and keep the HDD externally by installing it in an enclosure?

And also, are you planning to use Intel Smart Response Technology? Or just install the full OS onto the SSD, and linking the HDD via Disk Management? 

As for your W8 questions, I would install a completely fresh copy of W8 to the SSD, which can be done via a bootable USB. You can use IsoToUSB to "burn" .iso to the USB, and boot from it from BIOS. If you have another computer, you can go here and download Microsoft's setup:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

If you bought a legal windows copy, you should be given a key, which you can use the above setup to download the ISO. Then you can use IsoToUSB: http://www.isotousb.com/

To burn the .iso to a thumbdrive, since you don't have an optical drive. Booting up and installing and thereafter should be relatively simple.

However, modifying laptops are always risky business, in turns of space, etc. However, since you're only replacing the HDD, then it should be able to be done.

mYIGVc5.png

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

I just cloned my 1-1/2 year old Toshiba laptop, it turned to be a snap using the Samsung SSD software.  Very good chance you have a recovery partition most all do these days cloning will preserve that, I had to use the recovery on my Acer made life very easy.  You can use DeCrapifier to clean up the bloatware, another point against a fresh install is having to mess with drivers which as we all know can be a time consuming pain.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

As you plan for her to have both the SSD and the HDD installed at the same time, have you made sure the laptop has a way to plug the SSD and the HDD inside at the same time? If not you'll have to get an enclosure as mentioned earlier and it'll mean having the HDD outside of the machine.

Also if she's planning on doing video editing i don't know how well those integrated graphics will hold up when it comes down to rendering times.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users