Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting XP computer to vista computer on network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Compaq presario running vista home premium 64 bit, I have this machine networked with my XP home machine and I can connect to it fine but if try to connect to this machine from the XP I get a window asking for username and password, I do not have a password set up, I am the only user and when I boot up it goes right to my desktop, how can I stop that window from popping up so I see this machine.

Thanks

Moe_P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

XP and versions of Windows that came along after it have different methods of network discovery, making it difficult to network between them and XP.  I used to use Netowrk Magic, but I don't know if it's still available since the company that originally had it was bought out by Cisco which then discontinued it.   :dance:  Anyway XP has been unsupported since 4/8/14, so It's probably best to just either upgrade that XP computer to Windows 7 or 8 or go to Linux.

I've used the Mint, Ubuntu, and Puppy versions of Linux and found them to work well.  They have user interfaces similar to Windows and will network with Windows computers.  Ubuntu is the most popular of the 3, but I like Mint best because it's the most like Windows and comes loaded with a good bit of software.  You can download the ISO for it here: http://linuxmint.com/download.php and burn it to a DVD then boot from the DVD and be up and running in 3 minutes in trial mode without having to install anything to your hard drive.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 11 July 2014 - 01:54 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Moe_P

Moe_P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Thank you for the reply, will check it out.

Moe_P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users