Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus stops computer from booting. Beeps 1 long 2 short Nothing is what it seems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 GDT61Brick

GDT61Brick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

I have posted in many other forums and the people that reply come to somewhat the same conclusion, that my video card has failed (but not completely).

Summed up, the computer beeps 1 long beep, then 2 short beeps, then nothing. An unlit monitor on my laptop.

It will, if I press on, boot normally, but only if a few steps are done.

I have come to the conclusion that this is not a video card problem, because a bad connection being good again because of 

an artificially overheated (human intervened) video card, yes, is plausible, but there is 1 thing that I know that changes that entire idea.

I don't have to overheat it at all to make it work. In fact I just leave it off and have it plugged in for a few minutes. Absolutely no heat is being created in doing so, and that 1 simple thing allows the laptop to turn on normally. You could overheat it for days and days and it still won't turn on, but as soon as you take the off-plugged in approach, it starts working.

What I saw today surprised me, being the 90th+ day of me messing with this thing, an error came up. "You might be a victim of counterfeit windows software" error. If I'm not mistaken, I've never seen microsoft be so.. helpful in this kind of way.

Now, this might seem a little tin-foil hatted to some, but what is stopping a privately funded hacker from creating a virus that self-replicates into the system ram (Bios area), and to the hard drive, so that the majority of old-computer owners buy new hardware, to further the profit growth of a company, say, Microsoft.

Maybe "Virus" is not the right term, but let's call it a Virus since it annoys me and stops my laptop from working properly, but I have heard of such a virus that was created by the government, like, it's real. Look it up. You see, if you erase the hard drive, it doesn't matter because the virus will just replicate its self back onto the hard drive and back into the ram ect. no matter how many times you press and hold the power button to "Clear the memory".

Now, this is nuts. I won't take "Video Card Failure" as the answer, because solder and/or heat paste needs heat in order to be "Mended" into working again. Furthermore, heat paste I imagine has nothing to do with how the video card is connected to the motherboard, but I have heard the bogus response to this query by many.

A good symptom is that once I finally get it booted, I can restart it many many times, say 30 - 40 times in a row if I wanted, for a week. Then one day it won't boot, and I'll retry again. I have no need to cross my fingers, to worry myself that one day it will just never turn on. That's bogus. I've heard that. "Too many times doing that overheating thing will make it finally fail indefinitely". Nope! It keeps working. I've re-installed windows about 5 times since this started, Ubuntu about 2 times. The problem seems to go away after I re-install, but only for a week. Then the intermittent crap starts again.

The first time this happened I got a 0x7B blue screen error. Never saw it since. I have also seen no performance issues with the display or graphics. I am thinking of going ahead and buying an external graphics card by Nvidia, but sadly my nature wishes to keep messing with it's stock setup.

My system:

IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T61P

4 GB Ram, Intel T7700 Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, 15"

120 GB Intel Solid state drive

Edited by GDT61Brick, 10 July 2014 - 05:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

:welcome:

Lets take a look.

If you can start the computer i Normal Mode, please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Make sure that under Optional Scans, there is a checkmark on Addition.txt and Shortcut.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another two logs (Addition.txt and Shortcut.txt). Please attach these to your reply.

If you cannot boot, but are able to reach the advanced menu, Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
  • Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair

System Restore

Windows Complete PC Restore

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt

Once in the Command Prompt:
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users