Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Monitors Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Hi all - I have a question about using multiple monitors. I presently run a dual monitor setup, with each monitor connected to the outputs of my GPU. I was running a crossfired GPU setup; however, sadly I lost one of them - no idea why, but one of them fried. At any rate, I recently came across another monitor that I had stored away, and what I'm wondering is this: Since I only have two monitor outputs to work with, will I still be able to use DisplayFusion to give me three separate windows - one on each monitor - or will I be forced to have two of them be duplicates of one another? I suspect that, since I would have to use a splitter to accomplish the addition of a third monitor, that two of them will have to be clones of each other.

On the other hand, if there's a workaround to be had, I know that I can find it here... :D

This is of no urgency - in all honesty, I only want to do it becaue of the coolness factor of having three monitors...

Edit: I have not yet changed my system specs to reflect the loss of one GPU. All else in the specs below remains trhe same.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 10 July 2014 - 04:26 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

It seems you have more then 2 outputs 1. Dvi single link, 1 Dvi dual link, 1 HDMI, 2x mini display port. From my exp with my HD7770 You can use the 2 dvi and one of the display ports. You may need an Active adapter

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

Well, DUH! I apologize for being dense. The monitor has only two inputs - DVI & VGA, so I jumped to the conclusion that I would have to use one of those output ports. Further searching, however, turns up this adaptor. I'm assuming this would work, and if not, well, I'm not out a whole pile of money.

Thanks for your response. :thumbup2:

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

You need to use at least One monitor connected to the display port and use an Active adapter

Edited by Sneakycyber, 20 July 2014 - 10:21 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Yeah - I did a little more research and found that out. It seems kind of odd to me to configure the GPU that way, but I'm not an electronics engineer, so I suppose there must have been a good reason for it. The active adaptor isn't all thaat expensive, either, so I'll go ahead and order one.

Thanks for yor help.

Snowden03.png

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

http://www.overclock.net/t/721931/active-vs-passive-displayport-adapters-the-truth

That site is what helped explain it to me the first time I ran into that problem.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 20 July 2014 - 10:45 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

Okay, not to beat a dead horse, but before I go through the potential hassle of buying the wrong adapter, I'd like a bit of clarification, if possible. I can't find anything as specific as I'd like doing web searches, so here goes:

The ports on my GPU are shown in the picture below. I know that I need to purchase an active adapter, but I need to know if I'm constrained to using a Mini DP to HDMI, or if I can use a Mini DP DVI - or if it matters. My monitors have inputs as follows:

Monitor 1 (Main Monitor): HDMI, VGA

Monitor 2: DVI, VGA

Monitor 3: DVI, VGA

The specs for both monitors 2 & 3 do not specify whether the DVI ports are DVI-D or DVI-I, so I suspect they are both the latter.

So, I suppose that what I'm asking is this: Which of the following configurations is most likely to work?

1.) Monitor 1 input: Mini DP to HDMI, Monitor 2 input:DVI, Monitor 3 input: VGA

2.) Monitor 1 input: VGA; Monitor 2 input: Mini DP to DVI; Monitor 3 input: DVI

Of note: I tried once to connect my main monitor using HDMI - it worked fine, but would not allow the second monitor to function using either a DVI or VGA connection.

Any help with this (for me) extremely confusing situation would be appreciated.

Snowden03.png

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

Sorry - I forgot to add the image, and it seems that I can't attach a file now for some reason. The image is located here.

Snowden03.png

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

I just want to post an update here: I bought a mini-dp to DVI active adapter. I now have one monitor running with that connection, one that uses a DVI out on the GPU, and one that uses the second DVI out, with a VGA adapter. Apparently, you cannot use the HDMI if one of the mini-dp ports is being used. It's not that big a deal, though - I have three monitors, each acting independently of one another.

Snowden03.png

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

Thanks for posting your update, I apologise I missed your last question. For reference most DVI ports on video cards are DVI-I (single or dual link) this makes them compatible with DVI to VGA adapters. DVI-I includes the 4 analog pins surrounding the blade or slot pin. Monitors, depending on the resolution will use DVI-I single link (1900x1200@60Hz) or dual link (2560x1600@60Hz) connectors.

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 dhenzvillanueva

dhenzvillanueva

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:31 PM

I've been trying to research on my issue about my DVI port. MY card has a DVI port (24+1) and a VGA port. The VGA port is working but not the DVI port. I have purchased numerous adapters and a VGA to DVI cable but still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Edited by dhenzvillanueva, 11 November 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#12 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:37 PM

You should start your own thread and specify what video card you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users