Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 new install asking for drivers??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 messnera

messnera

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

I just signed up on the forum and I am really hoping that you guys have some ideas on how to fix the Windows 7 install problem I am having.  I offered to one of my kids friends parents that I would take a look at their desktop for them as it was not loading windows.  I ran some diagnostics on it, but nothing showed up.  I figured I would just format and re install Windows, which I was able to format using Acronis, as all other attempts failed.  I was told by a friend of mine, who is at a higher level than me in computers that I should go to Microsoft's website and download an image that matches what the product key sticker says, which is Windows 7 Home Premium.  I go to the image burned it to a DVD using image Burn and now, every time that I boot to the disc and tell it to install windows, it will start to load the setup files, but will abruptly stop and ask for the location of the drivers.  I really am at a loss here, as the only drivers I have for the computer are two discs' that she gave me.  Any help would be appreciated.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron

3 Ghz

4 Gig Ram

Other than the specs above, I don't know a whole lot about this computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

I wonder if its looking for the Motherboard drivers?Mentioned in thread below.If thats the case you will have to download and pass over by usb.sometimes you can run an install a few times and it will take,but sounds like youv done that.

Also possible you got a bad burn of the iso,you could try a usb install and see if that works.

http://superuser.com/questions/401532/why-does-windows-7-ask-for-additional-drivers-when-installing-from-a-usb-3-0-dri

#3 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

If you got the OS directly from microsoft it will only have generic drivers, and often not the ones intended for the specific chipsets and firmware used by various companies.  Win7 Home could have a COMPLETELY different set of drivers for a Lenovo system than an HP system, and again for a Dell. You will need to download the drivers from Dell <HERE> for that specific system, better to look it up via service tag as sometimes a slightly different chip was used in the same model machines.  Download all of the drivers and burn them to a disk or save to USB.  Use those drivers to install the updated drivers on the system...it would be easier if you saved them all to the same location.

Additionally, windows update may find some generic drivers for you that will get you running, even if not at full speed.  This will help your system run a bit better until you get the best drivers installed.

you can use this youtube video to help you install the drivers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNGFRQUn3s4

Edited by wing987, 10 July 2014 - 05:54 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Try formatting the drive to NTFS before booting Windows installer. The drive may be RAW and Windows cannot see it. Although Acronis is a delightful tool; Use either command prompt in Windows installer, GParted  or the like to clean and format the drive.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

During the Windows install process...it's normal for the setup routine to include asking for drivers, IME.

But drivers do not have be installed at that time...the setup/install routine should continue without them.

Are you saying that the install routine will not go on...without installing drivers?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users