Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gallantbug

gallantbug

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

What is hxxp://www.safesear.ch/?type=20140614?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Hello -

It is classified as Adware, since it is attached to other programs you download, and pretends to be good.

The program can hijack your browser(s), and is usually mentioned in page 3 of the fine print when you click on I Agree (or similar). So they say that you agreed to install the program.

I say it is 95% useless, and 5% not required.

Do you have a problem with this, or is it just a question ??

#3 gallantbug

gallantbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

It's just an annoyinng problem. Is there a way I can get rid of it? It is the first thing that pops up everytime I open my browser.

Thanks for your help! This is my first question on here ...(a little slow)

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

Hi -

EDIT - Please take your time, and ask if you have any more questions ............

A couple of things to try (that should help).

Do you use Firefox or Chrome as your browser ?

Download these tools to Desktop, and Copy and Paste the logs.

First - This is a "basic clean-up" and we will go further depending on your answers.

Please download and run RKill by Grinler.
 A black DOS box will appear for a short time and then disappear.
 This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
 At most the tool will usually run for about 2 minutes
 Please Copy / Paste the small log back here.

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

* NOW :
 Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
 * Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
 * Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
 * Click on the Scan button (only once)
 * AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
 * After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
* Check the removals and see if you are OK with the list.

* Now
 * Click on the Clean button (only once)
 * Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
 * Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
 * After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
 * Copy and Paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.

* A copy of all logfiles are also saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

Next -

Please download Junkware Removal Tool by Thisisu

Open your browser and go to Downloads, then click on the Junkware Removal Tool to install it. 

Click on Run to initiate the installation.

To avoid potential conflicts, Temporarily Disable your Antivirus

You may want to be offline when you do this.

Run the tool by double-clicking it.

Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.

The tool will open and start scanning your system.

Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open. 
Copy and this in your next post..

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

• Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus
  • Click on "Run ESET Online Scanner" button.
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Click Start
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Scan archives
  • Click Start
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.

Please be patient as this will take some time. (over 1 or 2 hours is not unusual).

• When the scan completes, click on List of found threats
  • Click on Export to text file , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

NOTE. If Eset doesn't find any threats it will NOT produce any log

After running these and posting the logs, please tell us if the problem is the same .

If so, please read further -

These are the most common solutions to eliminating the pop-up ads.

1. Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel or Programs and Features if using Vista/Windows 7/8. From within Add/Remove Programs look for anything in the list above and select Remove.

2. Open your browser and disable (uncheck) all extensions. Make a list, then one by one, re-enable each extension to see if the pop-ups start appearing again with that particular extension. Once you identify the responsible extension...permanently remove it but let me know which one it was so I can update the above list.

* How to Disable Extensions in Google Chrome - How to Uninstall Extensions in Google Chrome
* How To Disable Individual Plug-ins in Google Chrome <- try only if the above does not work
* How to Disable Extensions and Plugins in Firefox - How to Remove Extensions/Uninstall Plugins in Firefox
* How to Disable Extensions in Internet Explorer
* How to Disable Add-ons/Extensions in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome
* How to Disable all add-ons in Firefox, Internet Explorer

3. If the above did not resolve the problem, then create a new browser user profile.
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Google Chrome
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Firefox
* How to Create a new browser user profile in Opera, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome          

Keep us updated with the problem, or if you still have problems.

Edited by noknojon, 11 July 2014 - 12:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users