Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will not boot and nothing in c:

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 munroe

munroe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

My son downloaded a mod for his farming 2013 game.  It had a virus with it because my computer glitched real badly.  Ran some anti virus and malware but it couldn't get rid of a trojan.  Restarted my computer and now it will not boot.  Ran antivirus again and supposedly got rid of what was left.  I cannot start in safe mode of any kind.  Bought rebootable disc and that didn't work.  Tried booting from the hard drive, nothing.  The only thing I can get into is the command prompt.  Right now I'm in import registry file on hard disc drives.  I have windows c and d and boot x.  System c shows nothing while boot x seems to have what boot c should have.  Is boot x  what is needed to start the booting process?  While c drive shows nothing  (disc) it shows on the hard drive that there is stuff in there.  Is there any way to move boot x to system c?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Make and model of computer?  Version of Windows?  

Edited by hamluis, 10 July 2014 - 03:27 PM.
Removed tasteless remark - Hamluis.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hello and Welcome

You said you have a command prompt. Did you use the Safemode with Command Prompt option using F8 at bootup? Can you do this command

CD C:\

Dir

What is the size of C:?  Does it show approx 100MB?

Now type

CD X:\

Dir X: /p

This will pause the listing until you hit a key

Do you see the Windows directory?

#4 munroe

munroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

Have dell optiplex 740 with windows 7 pro.    Tried booting through f8 on all of the prompts.  Just restarts.  I typed everything you said and as you said to do it.  I have over 100 mb and when I did the DirX:/p it stated that it's not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.  Thanks for getting back so quick.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

You need to type the command as follows. Are you using a system repair disk to get to the command prompt?

CD X:\     
Dir /p

You should see the Windows dir.

Can you do this

At the command prompt type:

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

detail disk

After detail disk, can you post the results. You should see 2 or more volumes. Volume 1 should be 100MB. What are the letters assigned to each volume?

#6 munroe

munroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

I used boot disc and did what you said.  I see no volumes.  I have:

disk

partition

volume

vdisk

where you can display the properties of each.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,637 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

Did you get a directory of X when you did  the DIR command?  Did you see the Windows directory?

Just to verify.

Diskpart  <enter>  You should get a prompt of DISKPART>

List Disk <enter>  Do you see any disks?  How many disks are listed and what are there numbers? Look at the sizes. This should give you a clue of which disk is your hard drive.

Select Disk 0  <enter>  This should be the first disk shown in the list disk command.  

Detail Disk 0   <enter>  The volumes on the disk should be listed.

If no volumes are listed use Disk 1 in the above commands. It's possible Disk 0 is the CD disk and Disk 1 is the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users