Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best nvidia card this gaming PC can handle.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 azor7878

azor7878

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Hi, my PC is pretty old, it's been like four years since it was built, i probably won't have the money for next big system upgrade in the next two or three years, and until this time i would like to play games on this machine in 1080p @60fps medium-high. What is the best nvidia card that this rig can handle without bottlenecking it/throttling/generally slowing it down? People told me that basically every gtx i put in this thing will be cut to non-ti 660's performance level, is this just a bunch of horse crap? Is there a need to pay extra? Will this PC utilize 660 ti's or even 760's maximum capabilities? I'm looking for the nvidia gpu because of multi core support, my cpu's cores are pretty weak so i would like to utilize as many of them as it's possible.

Here are my current specs:
MSI 770-45c
Modecom Carbon MC530
Phenom II x6 2,8Ghz 1055t
Radeon HD5770 1gb
ADATA 2x2GB 1600
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum! You can certainly use the 660TI or the 760 without bottleneck as i personally am using a similar CPU but with dual graphics card without bottleneck. GPU's in general do not have "multi core" and it really has nothing to do with the CPU's cores in terms of choosing Nvidia or AMD graphics card.  Based from the specs, you will certainly need to upgrade the power supply to something much more higher quality as the current one is poor in quality and under load can only output 390W despite it saying 530W. One other information needed is the model of the case to determine how much space is available for a new graphics card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

I quite literally have no idea what that power supply is, or never heard of it, and despite it's 530watt output, these figures are always the maximum at optimal performance for a short time, they normally produce less than this number, which killerx525 has kindly informed to be 390watts, which is insanely low. If you are considering on a 660 or 660 Ti, then the PSU would require a definite upgrade. Poor CPU performance will bottleneck your performance, even if you have a excellent GPU installed. The CPU and GPU both handle different aspects of your computer: one in pure calculation *instructions*, and another in rendering and graphics. GPUs have more transistors than the CPU; however, they are slower in comparison, as they are geared towards parallel processing, such as 24 pixel shaders.

Honestly, bottlenecking cannot be proplery determined without you testing the computer with the new GPU, which does make it counter-productive, since you would like to know beforehand. 

Even if you were bottlenecked, you can still use the 660 Ti, and upgrade later on. If you end up purchasing a Ti, then this is how to test your bottleneck (quoted from http://www.davescomputertips.com/how-to-determine-gpu-vs-cpu-bottlenecks-and-possible-solutions/:

• If lowering the graphics settings has no effect on frame rates, then the bottleneck is your CPU
  • If lowering the graphics settings increases the frame rate, then your GPU is reaching its upper limits

mYIGVc5.png

#4 azor7878

azor7878
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

I'm planning on buying a new psu as well, right now i want to buy:
MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC
SilentiumPC Spartan Pro HE924
Corsair VS 450W
Would like to replace spartan with cooler master 212 evo and get some better psu becouse i'm not sure if it will be enough, but i have no more money.
Although i have seen the test in which 450w corsair powers 780 ti:

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

I'm planning on buying a new psu as well, right now i want to buy:
MSI GeForce GTX 760 OC
SilentiumPC Spartan Pro HE924
Corsair VS 450W
Would like to replace spartan with cooler master 212 evo and get some better psu becouse i'm not sure if it will be enough, but i have no more money.
Although i have seen the test in which 450w corsair powers 780 ti:

Still, you are pushing the limit with that PSU, and would strongly suggest for something that produces more wattage. Either way, it is your decision.

mYIGVc5.png

#6 azor7878

azor7878
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

So what PSU would you recomend, under $70?

#7 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

So what PSU would you recomend, under $70?

Looking through all the specs now, the RM450 is pretty good in everything, except the wattage it delivers. Seeing as there is that video to suggest that it will be enough to power your PC, keep in mind your future upgrades, such as SLI opportunities. I couldn't find a suitable PSU in $70 range with full modular, unless you don't mind?

mYIGVc5.png

#8 azor7878

azor7878
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

I don't mind if it is modular at all, it can have all cables soldered, i just want it to run quiet.

#9 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I don't mind if it is modular at all, it can have all cables soldered, i just want it to run quiet.

In that case, this would do for you.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-power-supply-rs750acaab1us

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users