Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer says "Internet Access" but does not connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GBOVFL

GBOVFL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Hello,

I am new here, and have been having some problems with my computer connecting to the internet.  I know my router/modem is good because other devices connect to the internet just fine.  And I have been in other locations, like home, at work, etc. where the internet was working but still no connection.

I am pretty sure I have a malware issue, as I recently had to remove some things through a malware program.  I have tried a number of things to try and resolve this, such as checking to checking to see if the "enable proxy server" box was checked, which it was not.  Also, I have tried renewing the IP address, and some other things and seem to be having no luck.

My computer will not connect to anything that requires an internet connection like browsers, or programs like quickbooks that need to connect to update, but I can connect to a wireless external hard drive/server over the network.

If anyone could help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 McSheHe

McSheHe

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Have you tried resetting the winsock?

Type netsh winsock reset in an elevated command prompt

#3 GBOVFL

GBOVFL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

This did the trick!  Thank you so much.

Now knowing that this worked, do you know what caused this?

#4 McSheHe

McSheHe

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Almost always malware that causes the winsock corruption. When you removed the malware  you removed the network settings they were attached to. So resetting the winsock restores these settings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users