Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway MX8734 with PXE errors

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TaylorD70

TaylorD70

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

I am working on a gateway mx8734. it came in upgraded windows from vista 32 bit to windows 7. on boot up it gives the error PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable  PXE-M0F: exiting Intel boot agent.  operating system not found.. I went into bios setup checked the boot order network is listed last. It also see's the HDD & the correct size of drive. I have disabled the lan card & it makes no difference still get the same error. I checked for bios updates on gateways website they list none. however they dont list the MX8734 only the mx8730.

I took out this HDD anfd put it into another pc & it runs good. I put in a different hdd in this pc & I get the same error.

I thought I would try a reload on it just to see & it will get about 5min. in and blue screen every time with different stop codes. I got a stop D1, C5, 8E & a stop 19.. I am @ a loss.. anyone have any other ideas?

Edited by TaylorD70, 10 July 2014 - 11:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

According to Intel, you can make this go away by removing Boot to LAN from the list of boot devices in BIOS Setup. See this link:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034307.htm .

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 TaylorD70

TaylorD70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

I disabled the enternal lan.. I dont see any way of removing it from the list. when I disabled it it gave me a no operating system found. it seems to bypass the hdd all together.. my motherboard is a  

31PA6MB0090

Edited by TaylorD70, 10 July 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

If the HDD ran fine in another computer and you are getting all these stop codes, have you done a memory check? Download Memtest+ and let it run. The longer the better. 

http://www.memtest.org

#5 TaylorD70

TaylorD70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

tested ram all good there.. even took out 1 chip @ a time made no difference. could it be a bad motherboard?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Sounds like a motherboard problem. You can try downloading a small linux distro like Puppy, Burn the iso and see if the computer crashes after some time. It runs in RAM but if it was a motherboard problem, it would seem that Puppy would also lock up after some time.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Could be a bad CMOS battery, IMO.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/366597/gateway-mx8734-wont-turn-on/

Loujis

#8 TaylorD70

TaylorD70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

ok gonna try to see if I have another battery around here somewhere.. they are kinda specific in the laptops right?  will also try the puppy idea

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

Some laptops have specialized CMOS batteries and some are even soldered to the motherboard. If your lucky, it will be a standard CR2032 battery.

#10 TaylorD70

TaylorD70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

was gonna take out the cmos. however looking @ it it sits in a little bracket thing that os attached to the m.b. looks like this ( ) with the battery in the middle.. it is was very loose when I went to try to remove the battery one side of the bracket came off the board. I barely touched it. that is what makes me think it loose.. nothing apears broken but I do not see a way of soldering it down. like it is missing the peice on the m.b. side to solder it to.. if that is the case could it of been the m.b. all along in that spot maybe that was causing all the issues?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

Having the battery bracket being that loose on the motherboard would cause problems. If you do not have experience soldering on a motherboard, I would take it to a good independent shop. Whatever the case, the motherboard should be removed before you do this. You would need an exact replacement. From here you can see one type that has very small pins that are placed in the MB and then soldered.

remove-battery.jpg

#12 TaylorD70

TaylorD70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

ok tried to install the puppy linux software. would not install. it just ended up giving the original pxe errors

#13 TaylorD70

TaylorD70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

thanks everyone for helping.. yeah I have no desire to try my shakey hands @ soldering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users