Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CostMin -- extension keeps coming back in Chrome

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joday

Joday

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

This CostMin is a very annoying adware thing. I have deleted the extension numerous times. Each time, I can use Chrome without trouble as long as I keep it open.  But when I close it and reopen -- there is the CostMin extension AGAIN.

I am using Windows 8.1.  I have run Windows Defender, Malware Bytes, Super Anti-Spyware, AdwCleaner, and FreeFixer.  None of those have helped. I have looked at all my programs to see if I saw anything that looked suspicious and deleted a few things.  I deleted a few things when I ran FreeFixer.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Joday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

Try Junkware Removal Tool and TDSSKiller which you can download from BC, and see if that helps.

There's always Firefox as an alternative if all else fails.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 10 July 2014 - 10:24 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Joday

Joday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

I tried using the Junkware Removal and also the TDSSKiller.  The Junkware found a couple of things but TCSSKiller found nothing.  I did a restart.  The problem persisted -- extension kept coming back.  SO -- I finally uninstalled Chrome and downloaded and installed anew.  It now seems to be fixed.  Knock on wood !

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm convinced computers are female, but it's a funny thing.  Women don't agree about that.  :kiss:

Knock, knock!   :)

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

What is CostMin? (Often part of a fake Java Download) -

CostMin is a "Potentially Unwanted Application" or "PUA", which installs on Internet browsers (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox) when users download or install free software. Developers of this adware use a deceptive software marketing method called 'bundling', and therefore, most users install the CostMin plugin inadvertently without their consent. After successful infiltration, this add-on generates intrusive coupons ads when users visit online shopping websites.

Check in Control Panel > Programs and Features for CostMin, or Coupon Support, and remove them.

Other programs for removal usually include AdwCleaner by Xplode Junkware Removal Tool by Thisisu and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users