Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Denied access to external drives (no security tab either!)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jhashey

jhashey

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

Hello, 

I just bought an HP Prodesk for the office with windows 7.  Whenever I try anything external (camera, hard drive, flipcam)

I get the same series of errors. 

First it says I don't have rights to view it and I need to click on the "security tab" to give myself access. 

Only catch, there is no security tab....(see attached photo). 

I did follow the steps here  to make sure I had the tab on and it does appear on regular

folders, just not on external drives. 

Any suggestions?  I'd love to be able to access my external files without having to turn on another computer!

THANK YOU!! 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

I take it these devices worked on an older computer? Can they connect to another Windows 7 PC?

It could be a case of not having up to date drivers for these devices, even though the computer is new (it does happen): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly#update-driver-hardware-isnt-working-properly=windows-7

I notice the drive in question is formatted using FAT32. You may have to go to disk management, and assign a drive letter to it manually: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/i-want-to-acess-my-fat32-usb-drive/cd9d000c-82bf-4fe0-b590-f7597c46cc9e

If those don't work, and if you're comfortable using the command prompt, you can try running the takeown command on the drives in question. In this case, try opening a command prompt by typing cmd into the search bar, right click and choose Run as administrator, then follow the steps:

takeown  /f   DriveLetter:\   /a   /r   /d y

Then, type

icacls DriveLetter:\  /t /c /grant administrators:F  System:F  everyone:F

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

I have 2 desktops with Windows 7 Pro, both with external hard drives attached, but I've never seen this error.  I'd check for malware with Malwarebytes, then boot to Safe Mode and do a full system scan with my antivirus.  If that doesn't help, I wonder what would happen if you clicked the Sharing tab and temporarily gave everybody read access.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 jhashey

jhashey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Thanks!  I did run the scan, unfortunately no fix. 

But I did want to add, if I boot up in SAFE mode I can access the drives...just not normally.  

sflatechguy:  Thanks!  Perhaps I'm trying it in wrong.  I did open the cmd as admin and cut and pasted: 

"takeown  /f   DriveLetter:\   /a   /r   /d y"

It gives me an error.  Should I put the "driveletter" as f?  Not sure if I was inputting it correctly. 

Thanks!

Edited by jhashey, 10 July 2014 - 10:17 AM.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Works in Safe Mode, well that tidbit is very helpful!  Try doing a clean boot and see if that doesn't stop the problem.  To do a clean boot, run MSCONFIG and click the Startup tab.  Note: avoid the other tabs!  in the Startup tab you can uncheck anything there except your antivirus program.  Then reboot and see if you can access the drive.  If that doesn't fix it, there's something we can do with the Services tab, but that one requires more caution, so let's just try the Startup tab first.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 10 July 2014 - 10:18 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

That would indicate it's possibly a driver issue. Safe mode boots with the mininal system drivers needed. Check the link above on updating your drivers. It may also be a third-party application or an item in your startup menu that is interfering.

If new drivers don't fix it, follow the steps on doing a clean boot to identify the possible conflict: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Is this a PRO version of Windows 7?

#8 jhashey

jhashey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

Yes it is windows professional 64. 

I'm doing a couple updates now.  It seems unrelated to the issue, but I'll update them anyways.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

I initially was thinking you could change the setting in Group Policy to disable deny access to Removable Storage Classes but I found something regarding HP Pro Books. See if this solves your problem. Look at HP Device Manager if  you have it. It could be some other HP software denying access.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Access-Denied-on-USB-drives/m-p/3669132#M189675

If the above solution does not work, Change the setting to disable deny access as shown here. If the setting is "Not Configured" change it to disabled and reboot.The link is for Vista but same applies to Win7

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

Thanks!  I did run the scan, unfortunately no fix. 

But I did want to add, if I boot up in SAFE mode I can access the drives...just not normally.  

sflatechguy:  Thanks!  Perhaps I'm trying it in wrong.  I did open the cmd as admin and cut and pasted: 

"takeown  /f   DriveLetter:\   /a   /r   /d y"

It gives me an error.  Should I put the "driveletter" as f?  Not sure if I was inputting it correctly. 

Thanks!

Yes, you want to put in the drive letter as in F:

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Give that a shot -- but I suspect it may not work, as you are able to access the drives in Safe Mode. That indicates a driver or application is preventing you from accessing the devices. And I think JohnC_21's link may have hit on the issue. It certainly would save you the hassle of going through the clean boot process.

#12 jhashey

jhashey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

John did get it!  

I uninstalled that program (click on HPs bubble to get access to drives) BUT my computer must have restarted before it was finished.  

So it was creating an issue.  I re-installed...then re-uninstalled and it worked. 

Thank you!

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Great. I figured it would. The first command line command I gave you would have reset the file and folder permissions for the entire drive, the second command would have reset the Discretionary Access Control, another set of permissions that, in a way, determines whether you have "clearance" to access to that resource.

But because you could get to the drives in Safe Mode, I knew it wasn't a permissions issue. The application was blocking all access to the drives, so you couldn't even have changed the permissions if you wanted to.

Glad that got resolved. :cool:

#14 IrwanK

IrwanK

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:22 AM

'Virtual Disk' service was started or not?

Make sure it was started.

#15 davetuggle

davetuggle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

Thank you John!!!! Created an account just to post... I've got 20 years of IT experience and this STUPID IDIOTIC HP Device Manager was my problem too. No error, no warning, nothing but blocking USB access. So happy with this forum and so map at HP - PITIFUL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users