Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is my RAM bad?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xxvincentxx

xxvincentxx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

I've been getting countless blue screens and all of the research I have done has led me back to my RAM going bad. This recent scan reconconfirmed it for me. There were over 800 errors so i assume my RAM is bad. It looks like I'm going to have to invest in some new RAM for my computer. Also my Drive D, which I use to burn music and movies has errors. Will it not work anymore? Some help would be appreciated. Thank you! I've also enclosed a log from Burnintest here they are. Looks like my CPU, disc drives, and everything else is fine and passed.

Attached Files

Edited by xxvincentxx, 10 July 2014 - 07:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

What test did you use to get those results? Memtest86 is probably the best test for ram. Blue screens are often caused by faulty ram, but bad blocks on hard drives also cause them.

I recommend running memtest86 to test your ram, post all of the information in the error line (if you get errors) if you have more than 1 stick of ram, let me know what stick is in what slot and the size of each stick. You may have just 1 bad stick.

Links for memtest, just burn one of these files to a disc and boot to the disc:

* Memtest86+ V5.01 (27/09/2013)**

Information about memtest86 can be found here: http://www.memtest.org/

Edited by zingo156, 10 July 2014 - 07:41 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

I forgot to mention, you should run memtest for at least 3 passes.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

If you have more than one stick of RAM you can remove one stick at a time and reboot between removal to

find the bad stick(s). Often, only one stick will be found to be bad.

There are several dos and don'ts when working with the hardware. If this is the first time you have actually

changed hardware parts you should ask here for help or do a search for particular repairs like changing out RAM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 xxvincentxx

xxvincentxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

I'm already running a test as we speak. Will I not be able to tell which stick is bad? There is one 2gb stick and a 4gb stick.

Edited by xxvincentxx, 10 July 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

Sometimes individual unmatched DIMMS are good but are "bad" when used together.  This is often the case if memory of different speed, make etc is mixed in the same computer.

Edited by jonuk76, 10 July 2014 - 10:53 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'm already running a test as we speak. Will I not be able to tell which stick is bad? There is one 2gb stick and a 4gb stick.

If you report the entire error line to me and which stick is in which slot in what order example dimm0 = 2gb stick and dimm 1 = 4gb stick, I should be able to tell you which stick has an error.

Also because of the possibility of a bad slot, after finding the stick with errors, it would be wise to move the stick to another slot and run the test again to make certain it is the stick and not the slot. Also sometimes simply re-seating ram will fix errors if there is a connection problem. I have had many computers that showed errors and re-seating the ram fixed the problem.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

A screen shot might be the best option.

Edited by zingo156, 10 July 2014 - 11:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users