Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I connect to Wi-Fi using Carolina?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

I am at a loss knowing how to connect to a Wi-Fi spot using Carolina.

I have several programs on my distro but I've no idea which one or how to use it.

Sorry, I'm not even sure which distro I'm using now. it might be Pup Lina 1.2.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:44 AM

Try this.  Its for precise 5.7.1 using SNS.

Connect Puppy Linux To WiFi (SNS)

Edited by NickAu1, 10 July 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

Well. My distro of Carolina didn't have that program. I wish it did. And not any user friendly application to connect.

I'm happy with my Precise Puppy on my XP notebook but I wanted something with some more eye candy for my faster Win 7 notebook.

I've been trying to find a Puppy program for a delayed shutdown. I've tried gShutdown and qShutdown but neither works. Seems there is an issue with my Desktop or Display Manager.

The other thing on my Wish List is a program that would insert pre-programmed text after a couple keystrokes. I currently use a Windows program that will insert text after typing "/" then a character assigned to pre-set string of text (AllChars).

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Sorry it did not work.

With carolina it's best to ask the creator. I suggest you go here. Beginners Help ( Start Here)  on the http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/ forum.

I wanted something with some more eye candy for my faster Win 7 notebook.

PC specs? We can do lots with this.

Screen capture from my pc..

http://youtu.be/R8JP2r9ZZ3c

Edited by NickAu1, 18 July 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#5 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

Thanks again NickAu1.

I finally found the Connection Wizard in Carolina. It was in the Control Panel. I'm not in a WiFi zone now but I'll try it in a few days.

Carolina is nice but it's initial layout certainly could benefit from some tweaking, which I'll start doing once I'm sure I can get it to connect to wifi.

#6 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

It's odd. I can use the method to connect wifi using precise puppy and it works fine.

But the same method using Carolina doesn't connect.

I think it's because the Carolina Puppy does not recognize my D-Link USB modem (125 model. I think, very basic), while Precise Puppy does. (I can see it flashing...or not flashing).

There must be some setting in Carolina that I've not set up correctly that keeps it from seeing the modem.

My built-in modem isn't working right, so I have to use the USB one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users