Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Make Computer Like New?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

Hey Folks,

I"m trying to help my mother get her desktop computer working like new. Basically, she would download a bunch of crap and would never ever even turn off her computer for months and maybe even years at a time. I had a buddy come over who knows computers but he overcharged and I don't know if I got done really what I wanted. I thought the computer might need a new fan because before my mom stopped using this computer there was a very loud rattling which I thought was the fan. My buddy took the case off and cleaned it although there is still a bunch of dust and it's not that loud like it used to be. Maybe it was because mom never turned it off. ANyways, I would like to get this computer cleaned of unneeded programs, spyware/adware/virus protected, and just running as clean and fast as it can because she bought this brand new for a lot of money. Also, what is the best way to physically clean out the inside of the computer? I would appreciate help and will follow instructions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willm

Willm

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

To clean a computer out you have a couple of options. One is to take the side of the case off and get a can of compressed air or an air compressor and blow all the dust out. Normally that does the trick. The other option is a little more involved. You do the first step of blowing out all the dust you can. Then you use a little rubbing alcohol and clean off all the fan blades. Remove all the components and clean around and under them, etc. It is all a matter of how much work/spare time you have or want to put into it.

As for your second question I would like to know what you want to do with this computer? Are you going to try and run Vista on it, or are you looking to update the OS and put Windows 7 or 8 on it? The simplest answer is to wipe the drive and start over. If you are going to save the computer as best you can then I would recommend that you post a thread in Am I infected? What do I do?. Read a couple of the pinned threads, they will help you in the long run. The people over there will help you remove the malware/adware, etc and you can use the computer again.

#3 gibsgoinpro

gibsgoinpro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

No, I want to continue to use Vista and what she has on here without wiping the harddrive and clean it the best I can. Could I use a dustbuster and suck out the dust or is that too strong?

Another thing is for example things like Java. I got on here and it said need java update. I download the new version. THen I read you need to make sure you delete older versions otherwise it is a security threat. So i search to see how to see if you have older versions. I read where people are saying that it is good to uninstall java alltogether because it is a security problem. THese are the things i need to know what to do and there may be several programs similar.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

would never ever even turn off her computer for months and maybe even years at a time.

Kinda reminded me of my mom as well. :grinner: Just to add with cleaning the desktop, youtube videos would help. Using compressed air, paint brush would be the usual. With regard to Java, if your mom sticks to online games, this would most likely be required. Java is by default set to check for updates periodically given that its connected online. If not, removing them would be a safe haven. Knowing the usual activities would help you trim down the needed applications installed also. A little education or maybe setting home pages or multiple tabs on browser startup is also another option.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users