Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"acquiring network address" problem.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MMM95

MMM95

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Hey there!
I have a pc with windows xp pro sp2 installed on it.
Yesterday I had to reinstall windows. When it finished installing I installed the drivers and everything, but when I wanted to connect to a network, it said that it was "acquiring network address" but nothing really happens and I connect to the network. This happens with the Local Area connection and also with a wireless connection.
And yes, I checked the DHCP service and it's "started".
HELP!
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Welcome,

Have you updated the OS completely? Did the motherboard come with a CD of drivers and after installing them did you update them? I'm going to assume that you have had to reboot a few times during all of these processes. You might also want to reboot your router so that it flushes its cache of data on the old configuration.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 MMM95

MMM95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

Welcome,
Have you updated the OS completely? Did the motherboard come with a CD of drivers and after installing them did you update them? I'm going to assume that you have had to reboot a few times during all of these processes. You might also want to reboot your router so that it flushes its cache of data on the old configuration.
Keep us posted

Yeah I did install all the necessary drivers and they are updated, but that doesnt seem to solve the problem.
The same goes for restarting the router.
But thanks for the answer anyway.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

Do you have another device that is on the same network that is connecting to the Internet?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

Plug the PC directly into the modem. If you can get online then... it's a problem with the router or the network setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users