Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Blank Screen on Startup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jmit2b3

jmit2b3

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Pc is a toshiba l505 laptop.
I put my computer into sleep mode by closing the screen and when I started it back up it would not come out of sleep mode. I held the start button to shut it off and when i started it back up nothing showed up on my screen. All of the lights on the bottom show, the fan runs, the cd drive opens and the hard drive has the normal startup hum however the caps lock and num lock lights do not light up on the keyboard and obviously the screen stays black. I looked around the net and a lot of people say the motherboard is blown and i should just buy a new computer. I would like to hear anyones opinion or a solution to fix this. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Please don't shoot the messenger,

Something on the motherboard has gone bad. It might be a 'fixable' or it might be a 'replaceable'. Given that it's a laptop, if you've gotten a couple of good year's service out of it, replacement is the better option. If it's still new enough to be under warranty then by all means exercise your option to let the manufacturer fix it.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

What happens when you try to boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Rainbowpoo

Rainbowpoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Before declaire it dead or change anything, try two things :

1- Remove battery, disconnect powersupply and press the power button like 10 seconds

connect your power supply and press power normally; if that work you only have some static in your laptop

2- Remove battery, disconnect powersupply and remove and clean your RAM memmory, sometime ram have trouble with static too

thats all i can think right now..

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

It could also be the screen/monitor itself has gone bad. Try connecting another monitor and see if you still get a blank screen.

Some other how-to's to troubleshoot this: http://www.ehow.com/info_8029000_toshiba-screen-blank-can-do.html

#6 jmit2b3

jmit2b3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

What happens when you try to boot into Safe Mode?

Before declaire it dead or change anything, try two things :

1- Remove battery, disconnect powersupply and press the power button like 10 seconds

connect your power supply and press power normally; if that work you only have some static in your laptop

2- Remove battery, disconnect powersupply and remove and clean your RAM memmory, sometime ram have trouble with static too

thats all i can think right now..

It could also be the screen/monitor itself has gone bad. Try connecting another monitor and see if you still get a blank screen.

Some other how-to's to troubleshoot this: http://www.ehow.com/info_8029000_toshiba-screen-blank-can-do.html

I cannot boot in safe mode. The num and cap lock lights on the keyboard do not light up on start up so I assume that the keyboard is useless. 

I did the whole remove the battery and and hold the power button for 30 seconds method. I have even removed the ram and put it back in. 

I have no way to test another monitor but I assume that the screen isn't the issue since the keyboard is unresponsive. 

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

That pretty much leaves the motherboard then. Given what a new motherboard would cost and how tricky they are to replace in a laptop, you're probably better off removing the hard drive, copying over/backing up any important files, and buying a new laptop.

#8 jmit2b3

jmit2b3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Ya well this sucks. Last year around this time in july the fan and Harddrive went out. Literally almost to the date this happens. I smell a conspiracy haha. All jokes aside thanks for the replies so far and if anyone has a recommendation for a decent laptop under 600$ or even under 500 please do share. Im a college student on a low budget.

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

Further indications this is a motherboard issue. Can't vouch for the conspiracy, tho. ;-)
Got no recommendations on laptops, as I don't own/use them. I'll let others weigh in on that one.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

...and if anyone has a recommendation for a decent laptop under 600$ or even under 500 please do share. Im a college student on a low budget.

A visit to Buying New Computer Forum would seem to be in order :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users