Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing but a blue screen-I have destroyed my desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 humblerthanhumble

humblerthanhumble

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

I've done it again. My desktop was hijacked by mail.com. In other words when I pushed google I got

some search engine instead of google. I looked for a program and ran Desktop Hijack Fix and now I have a blank blue screen with nothing on it. I used all three choices  1. restore settings

2.restore back up

3.update back up and

4.remove policy restrictions

I feel like an idiot but can you help me restore my original desktop.

I have w/7 64bit        Chrome

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2014 - 04:37 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Can you boot to Safe Mode?  If so, you could try doing a System Restore to a date before the start of the problem.  If you need further help, we'll need to know the make and model of your computer and what version of Windows you have.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Please post system specifications, if all else fails you may have a recovery partition.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Just to be thorough, here are instructions for booting into Safe Mode.

Withe the computer turned off press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key.  If this works properly you will open the Advanced Boot Options, the option for Safe Mode is found here.  You need to use the up or down arrow to navigate to Safe Mode, the press Enter to make your choice.

Please let us know if you can boot into Safe Mode or not.  If you can't there are still a couple of things we can try before resorting to using the system recovery partition to reinstall the operating system.  If you use the recovery partition you will lose all of your data.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users