Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Start Application Errors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 opa6x57

opa6x57

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539835/getting-a-cannot-start-application-popup-every-so-often/ - Hamluis.

I'm getting this exact same message - periodically once/twice per day. Started after July 1st.

I didn't delete any files - before this started. I have scanned with MBAM AFTER it started - but, doing so didn't change the message.

I don't want to "FIX" it so it will run ... I want to find out what is triggering it - and how to stop it.

It's just some ad... 

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2014 - 02:53 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opa6x57

opa6x57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539835/getting-a-cannot-start-application-popup-every-so-often/ - Hamluis.

I opened that url Deployment url : http://ads.firstimpwins.com/creative/2-002137026-00001i;size=1;tag_id=4649;ref=INSERT_REFERRER_HERE;cb=INSERT_CACHEBUSTER_HERE

... in a browser. It is an ad.

Like JKirkman74 - I don't want to know how to fix the ad so it will run - I want to find where it is being triggered so I can defeat it.

I've searched the registry - and I've searched the 'users' folder on my machine (and all sub-folders) I cannot find any thing that references/contains 'firstimpwins'

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2014 - 02:55 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hi,

Now that you have your very own thread please give us all of the details about the problem. Being 'exactly like' another user's problem isn't exact enough. Hardware and software details, specs, etc.

You said that it started on 1 July, what changes were made on that date? program updates, additions, deletions, modifications? Any visits to sites in the 'hood'? What is your installed security program? Is it current and have you run any scans?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#4 opa6x57

opa6x57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hardware: Dell Inspiron 620, Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 6.00 GB RAM

O/S Windows 7 Professional Service pack 1.

I work remotely from home - this machine is primarily used for email, Internet browsing (with IE, Firefox AND Chrome - I switch between them.)

And to control MULTIPLE machines at the company's Co-lo site.

Typically - what I have open is Outlook, Lync, Browser, ULtraEdit (text editor), calculator - and 4-8 Remote Desktop Sessions.

I do not remember the first day I saw this popup ... 

Cannot Start Application

Cannot continue. The application is improperly formatted. Contact the application vendor for assistance.

... but, I barely took notice of it - because I was busy.

The second/third time it happened, I noticed it - made mention to our IT group but they didn't really know what it was.

All of that was before I even noticed that the 'Details' button actually provided some valid details.

When I locked the PC and went to bed last night - I hadn't seen one pop-up all day. When I unlocked the PC this morning, I had 4 of them - two with "ads.firstimpwins.com" - and two with a different url.

I dismissed them - and went to work.

Not sure what to do, now.

#5 opa6x57

opa6x57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

This is a duplicate of http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540426/cannot-start-application-errors/

I'm not sure if they can be 'merged' or not - but it is ONE issue.

I get these popup messages - usually overnight - 

Cannot Start Application

Cannot continue. The application is improperly formatted. Contact the application vendor for assistance.

... and I want to figure out what is triggering them - and how to make them stop.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#7 Bluebelle1st

Bluebelle1st

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

I have this same problem, It is an ad. Preferably it should not be allowed to live in my computer. How do I find it and destroy. I have run malwarebytes, Super antuspyware, have security Essentials running and up to date. Also ran a malware from MS, forgotten name, msert.exe,? Deleted because it is only good for 10 days. Then this popped up again this morning.

"PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.18444
System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
clr.dll : 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
dfshim.dll : 4.0.41209.0 (Main.041209-0000)

SOURCES

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
+ Exception reading manifest from http://ads.firstimpwins.com/creative/2-002137026-00001i;size=4;tag_id=4649;ref=INSERT_REFERRER_HERE;cb=INSERT_CACHEBUSTER_HERE: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
+ An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 43.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [7/14/2014 12:32:10 AM] System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (ManifestParse)
- Exception reading manifest from http://ads.firstimpwins.com/creative/2-002137026-00001i;size=4;tag_id=4649;ref=INSERT_REFERRER_HERE;cb=INSERT_CACHEBUSTER_HERE: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Xml.XmlException
- An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 43.
- Source: System.Xml
- Stack trace:
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEntityName()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestValidatingReader.XmlFilteredReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlCharCheckingReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XsdValidatingReader.Read()
at System.Deployment.Application.ManifestReader.FromDocument(String localPath, ManifestType manifestType, Uri sourceUri)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available."

Thank you for any help

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

Topics merged here.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Bluebelle1st,
Your thread is in the right place now to get the help you need.

Edited by dicke, 14 July 2014 - 02:15 PM.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users