Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard and CPU running really hot

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 iNezzy

iNezzy

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

Hi all,

I am currently runnign a Dell L702X laptop, i have recenetly started noticing some bad frame rate issues while gaming, when i was running speccy, i did notice that the 

CPU was running at 95 degrees

MB was running at 90 degrees

Now, i can only imagine this is not normal, and i have no idea if this would be cause frame rate drops, but either way it is alarming... what could be the issue here?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

I've noticed that on laptops Speccy tends to report higher temperatures than other programs do.  In addition to posting the Speccy report here, please download SpeedFan and see what the core temps it reports are.  

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 iNezzy

iNezzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

Speccy - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/epDlDe087tAHouyTF0sySfV

Both speedfan and CoreTemp are reporting all 4 cores @ 90-92...

It seems as though the NVIDIA is running rally hot aswell... although im not sure were that should be to be honest.

It seems as though the temps dont ramp up until the NVIDIA is in use... they idle at around 60 for cpu and 65 for MB without the NVIDIA doing anything...

I dont use a laptop cooling pad, it is just on a desk (dunno if this would help? Id imagine it would..)

Is such a huge increase normal when using an NVIDIA card as opposed to the onboard?

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2014 - 06:19 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Your CPU is in the danger zone for heat...that's the highest temp I recall seing  posted for an operative CPU.  The

I'd say that it would be a good idea to try to clean the laptop internally...it doesn't seem to be cooling properly, while your hard drive temps are within the normal range.

Louis

#6 iNezzy

iNezzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

Your CPU is in the danger zone for heat...that's the highest temp I recall seing  posted for an operative CPU.  The

I'd say that it would be a good idea to try to clean the laptop internally...it doesn't seem to be cooling properly, while your hard drive temps are within the normal range.

Louis

this is the speccy when i am not using my NVIDIA Gpu.... http://speccy.piriform.com/results/E2REHPq7O3l3EaV3NFef4Xl

Id imagine a clean will help out - however it looks VERY tricky... is that something a repair shop should beable to do?

Id imagine the GPU would cause an increase but such a large increase doesnt seem right...?

And finally, how much difference would a cooling pad make? I run my computer on a desk atm.

Edited by iNezzy, 09 July 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

I agree with Louis - those temperatures sure seem high.  Intel processors have the ability to shut down when they get hot enough to cause damage, but before they get that hot, the increased temps will shorten the life of the processor and the motherboard it's attached to.

On laptops you can get a can of compressed gas and blow it through the air intake ducts on the bottom of the laptop.  Be sure you turn the laptop off before doing that!  You need to do that every 6 to 12 months because dust builds up inside and creates a blanket over the components causing a heat build up.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 09 July 2014 - 06:55 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

this is the speccy when i am not using my NVIDIA Gpu.... http://speccy.piriform.com/results/E2REHPq7O3l3EaV3NFef4Xl

Now the readings  are back to normal for your system.

You may have had the wrong card fitted ?? at least for your system.

We can only hope that no damage was done with the earlier setup.

#9 iNezzy

iNezzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

It is the card that was in when I bought the laptop. And I've never noticed this happening in the last 2 years.... I willl try compressed air and maybe a cooling pad.... If I need to Open the laptop to clean it out... It'll have to go to a shop as looking at videos it's way beyond my capability...

#10 iNezzy

iNezzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Is such a large jump wwhen graphics card is in use normal? Or is there something else potentially wrong.

#11 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

That does seem unusual.  You could check with Nvidia about that - maybe the card is defective or you don't have the right driver?

#12 iNezzy

iNezzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

That does seem unusual.  You could check with Nvidia about that - maybe the card is defective or you don't have the right driver?

I have the latest driver... i am gonna try a fan plate, see how it does as everything is perfectly normal until i use the NVIDIA.... Failing that, to the local computer store for a clean out... as i dont feel confident opening it up

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Turn it over you should be able to see in the vent slots and likely the fan, if they as suspected all cruded up buy a can of compressed air and blow the out.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#14 iNezzy

iNezzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Turn it over you should be able to see in the vent slots and likely the fan, if they as suspected all cruded up buy a can of compressed air and blow the out.

Didnt have compressed air... however there only seems to be 2 vents for the card.. one on the left side and one on the bottom... the one on the left gets so hot it can only be touched with my hand for a few seconds... I dont have compressed air, but ti did try putting the vacuum cleaner over the vents and has mad no difference

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

One vent is intake the other exhaust, why not look on Youtube for instructions on opening the case.  It is fairly easy you may want to give it a go!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users