Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cheap graphics card thats better than Intel HD Graphics 2000

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sega Dude

Sega Dude

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

I have a Lenovo H430-2558-1ZU desktop PC that I would like to upgrade the graphics in. I am looking for something better than the Intel HD Graphics 2000 that is built into the Core i3-2120 processor.  It has a power supply that is somewhere between 280w and 300w, I can't find a definitive answer. The HD 2000 graphics play all the games I want it to play fine for the most part, but I want something more. I play Garry's Mod, Left 4 Dead 2, The Sims 3, SimCity (the latest one), Splinter Cell Conviction, and more on this computer. I also tried to run the Project Spark beta on this machine and the HD 2000 can barely handle it. So, what is a good gaming card I can put in this machine? I would really like something that does not require external power, and is under $100. Even if it's an older card, as long as it's better than the Intel HD Graphics 2000, I don't really care.

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2014 - 12:32 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

If you can stretch to just over $100 the GTX 750 is probably the best choice.  It draws all the power it needs through the PCIe slot, and will be massively better than the HD 2000 graphics.

The AMD R7-260 and R7-250X which can be found in the price bracket need external power connectors and would need a better power supply, so that rules that out.  The R7-250 GDDR 5 works from just the slot (no external power required) and although some sources claim it needs a 400w PSU, it's maximum power draw is only 65w, and I've seen tests where total system power draw tested under heavy load with this card was only around 100-150w, so personally I'd take my chances with a reasonable 300w PSU.  It's got nowhere near the performance of the GTX 750, but still better than the HD 2000, and it's relatively cheap.

Although it's discontinued the GDDR5 version of the Radeon HD 7750 may still be in a couple of retailers and is another power efficient card that should perform slightly better than the R7-250 and doesn't need external power connectors.

Avoid DDR 3 memory versions of any of these cards - the slow memory will kill performance.

Edited by jonuk76, 09 July 2014 - 08:05 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users