Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype Snake/Rat/Virus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MistahYebba

MistahYebba

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

I run services from online games like RuneScape on a community forums called Sythe.

I have been growing rapidly over the past month so I have a lot of customers contacting me through Skype, which is my preferred method of communication. Now, as a growing member of Sythe, this puts me on the list to be targeted by hackers and invasive people, and I know this, which is why I have protection.. However; I am worried that they may have gotten past my defenses and it has costed some of my customers their belongings on their games.

I believe I have some sort of Skype rat sending the Chat Logs to whoever ratted me. Skype has been acting different lately but really nothing I would have ever worried about. I've noticed every 10-20 minutes all of my "Recent" conversations on Skype resetting as if I had never looked at them and having the number of "new" messages in an orange circle. Even after reading them, right clicking "Recent" and hitting "Mark All As Read", and deleting all of my conversations, new ones just keep bugging like this.

I have Peerblock running, I did a scan with Avast! and Malwarebytes (both came up clean), and I've been checking suspiciously-named .exes in Task Manager. Nothing has come up that has surprised me. I'm at a loss here.

I reinstalled Skype but of course if the virus is this sophisticated that probably wouldn't do anything.. I have no way of knowing if I'm still ratted, but I staged a conversation with a friend of mine giving the REAL username and REAL password to my personal account to see if that gets hacked as well.. We'll just have to wait and see. 

I don't want to accept anymore customers until I get this all sorted out, so please help me out here! :(

I don't know what to do.. 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 July 2014 - 05:02 PM.
Moved to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MistahYebba

MistahYebba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

bump..

0 user(s) are reading this topic