Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspicious Behavior of ISUSPM.EXE

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DougCKaty

DougCKaty

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

I've been watching memory usage by processes on Task Manager, since having several mysterious virtual lockups (severe slowing), from which I've usually had to force power down in order to recover. At one time I caught ISUSPM using over 350 Mbytes, 'though at that time things were still running OK. ISUSPM usually starts out using 3.5 Mbytes, then it slowly builds up, and sometimes decreases, but never down to the starting level. 

I tried to take ISUSPM off the start list, but it still shows up as a running process, and still using memory.

This morning I noticed there are two entries in the process list for ISUSPM. One's memory usage stays low, circa 1 Mbyte, but it does change slightly. 

Somewhere in my searching I came across a forum or an article that told how to identify if I have a corrupted copy of ISUSPM.EXE, by looking at the file length, but I've not been able to relocate it. 

I'm running Windows 7, and am current on updates. I run Vipre Internet Security 2014, and am current on definitions and scans. I also periodically scan with Malwarebytes Premium. Neither of these programs identifies any issues, other than occasional adware. 

The large, varying memory usage and my inability to keep ISUSPM from starting are what is worrying me. Should I be worried about this, or look somewhere else for the bogging down episodes? Since I've been watching ISUSPM memory usage I've had no more bogging down episodes, and have seen memory usage go only up to around 160 Mbytes. right now it's sitting at around 24 Mbytes.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

The isuspm.exe is not required at startup, so if you want you can remove it from the startup list.

To do this I would suggest using Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel to remove it from the startup list.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DougCKaty

DougCKaty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I got through the install process for CPL, to the "finished" popup, but nothing runs automatically, and got to the "Startup Control Panel 2.8 by Mike Lin" popup. Can't find very many programs listed in either user or common lists, and no ISUCPM in either list. Any more detailed operating instructions for Startup CPL anywhere? I found the Michael Lin website and a screen for Startup Control Panel. The note indicates only up to XP compatibility. Do you know that it should work for W7?

What I had done manually was going in thru MSCONFIG command to the system configuration / startup tab, unchecking ISUSPM, and clicking APPLY. Still shows up as unchecked after restarts, but still shows up in the process list.

#4 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

ISUSPM.exe Windows process - What is it?   Here this may help you out.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Hi,

It is a known pain. Here's the BC identification of it.

As you can see it is configured to run from a registry setting (or possibly several). So removing it could take several attempts from different locations. Rather than me typing it all out for you there is a nice easy tutorial for you to follow here. You may find that you do need to follow method 4 (manually editing the registry), so be sure to create a restore point before you start messing with your registry.

TsVk!

#6 DougCKaty

DougCKaty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I've managed to set Flexnet Common Software Update Manager scans to manual, and ISUSPM seems to be behaving itself, as far as memory usage is concerned. I did note that just opening up the program results in the settings being changed back to automatic, and some memory was tied up. I see from the suggestions made that there are other things I could do, but I think I'll hold off on them for now. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users