Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IT Apprenticeships

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vaar

Vaar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering, would it be worth applying for an IT Apprenticeship or to study a Computer Security Course before applying?

If the latter, are online courses worth doing? Does anyone know of any distant learning courses that are actually worth doing?

Let me know!

VAAR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Courses aren't going to help you unless they lead to a certification.

#3 Veitch

Veitch

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Depends on why you want to do it.

If you do it for knowledge, skill and because it interests you, go for it. It will help you to increase your selfconfidence and you will have knowledge to share, show and apply.

If you do it to solely to impress the employer at the company you are applying for, then you shouldn't. As Kilroy put it, a certification that is also accredited is probably better, but there are disadvantages: it costs a lot of money and it often has a time limit after which you would have to get the certification again. Employers often pay for certifications, so I personally wouldn't do any before the apprenticeship.

My advice: Look for things you like, learn things you like and do projects you can show. The employer wants to see that you are interested and motivated. This counts more than your actual skill and knowledge, because you are applying to learn from them and they usually like to get unspoiled people, who didn't had the chance to learn things the wrong way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users