Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do we know who/what Farbar is? Or is it proprietary info?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

My curiousity has gotten the better of me.  I see a half dozen great tools here (and nowhere else) from Farbar including MiniToolBox which gets used a lot here.  Is it a deep dark secret who or what Farbar is or do we know any more about Farbar?  I've read the paragraph on the publisher page that says

"Farbar is a malware fighter who helps people with malware removal on a variety of security forums.  He has incorporated his own experience and other malware fighters into some useful tools to assist helpers in removing malware."  That just piques my curiosity.  It has to be someone or some organization closely associated with BC.  Is there further enlightenment available about this obviously very talented person(s)?

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,785 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

farbar is a member of the online security community who has been involved with Bleeping Computer and similar sites for many years. Like many individuals in our community he chooses to keep many details about his personal life private. For this reason, there is no further information on him available other than what he personally chooses to disclose.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

I have some more information on him. Farbar is a very kind and giving person who donates his considerable skills and time to help others.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

Another factor to consider: Too much information on the web as an anti-malware developer, can and has in the past to others, make you a target for the bad guys and derail development because you're fighting personal attacks.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

He's famous. That's all I know. Or he's infamous. That's all I know.  B)

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

farbar is a member of the online security community who has been involved with Bleeping Computer and similar sites for many years. Like many individuals in our community he chooses to keep many details about his personal life private. For this reason, there is no further information on him available other than what he personally chooses to disclose.

Thanks for the info.  That makes perfect sense.  It's too easy for spammers and malware creaters to get info about you and drive you nuts when you're just an ordinary citizen.  I can imagine what it would be like for someone like Farbar.  The malware creaters don't seem to want anything good for anybody, let alone someone who writes antimalware apps.  Kudos to Farbar - keep up the good work!   :bananas:  :thumbup2:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users