Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory, Can't Start Internet Exporer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BigHav

BigHav

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:36 AM

I have a problem... It's about virtual memory... but I have over 700mb of ram, windows XP, 2 hardrives... one with a 2.52 mbs left and one with 55 gb left... when I start up a program I have no problem... but once I start up internet explorer everything freezes... sometimes my computer even shuts off... and sometimes it gives me a msg about virtual memory... can anyone help me? this computer is what I use for my business so its very frusterating for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BigHav

BigHav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:46 AM

my fault!!! on my primary drive I have around 2.52 GB left not MB....

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,998 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:01 AM

Here is two items found on the web that pertains to your question. I would just add that you could pick up some more space by deleting the temporary files using a program such as CCleaner. If you haven't cleaned in a while there could be a lot of extra space.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In WinXP, right click My Computer, and select Properties. Go to the Advanced tab, and under Performance, click Settings. At there, click the Advanced tab. There, you will find one option at the bottom to change your virtual memory. Select Change and increase it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either you have too many programs running at once, or you just don't have enough memory in your computer.. Right click on My Computer, and click on properties.. Then look near the bottom of the window that pops up, and see what it says.. something like ### MB RAM How much is there?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 BigHav

BigHav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:21 AM

I have 768 mb ram

i changed my virtual memory... i read somewhere to change it to 1536 (i think thats what I changed it to) Could it be my primary hardrive??? I dont have much space left on it... if I transfered the majority of the files to my secondary drive (the bigger hardrive) would it help my performance??? I'll try CCcleaner but i think i need to burn it on a cd from this computer cause my internet explorer doesnt work at all!!! :thumbsup:

and im not running alot of programs... I shut down limewire... I even shut down my AIM...... and all my files work... but once I log into internet explorer it freezes up and tells me there's no virtual memory... or it freezes up and the computer shuts down.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,998 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:36 AM

You can do cleanup manually, meaning without using CCleanup. If you need help with that, ask. When you mentioned Lime wire, bells went off. Using a P2P service is a well known way to get infected with some nasty malware. What antimalware programs do you have?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 BigHav

BigHav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:31 PM

I have norton antivirus and it says it has spyware protetction... should i use adaware also?>

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

Hi BigHav

Perhaps this link will help. :thumbsup:

Simple steps to keep your computer secure!:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1628/simple-steps-to-keep-your-computer-secure/

It is always best to apply layered protection against malware.
Reason being anti-spyware/anti-adware programs each have thier own definitions.
So what one may catch the other may not, and vise versa.

a-squared Free is also a great free program to have in ones arsenal.
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Another helpful link:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
Posted Image

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,998 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:13 PM

How is the cleanup coming? If you can get on the internet and update the Norton and Ad-Aware and do a scan with both, that would be a good thing. I am assuming that IE is the only browser on the problem harddrive.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:40 PM

As a rule of thumb, you need about 18% free space on your hard drive for it to function normally - to be able to be defragmented, etc.

The max number on the page file should be at least 1 and 1/2 times the installed RAM and more if you place a heavy load on the computer, but be aware that it takes much more time for the computer to write to the page file than to RAM. If you constantly hear the hdd clicking while you are running programs you probably need more RAM.

#10 BigHav

BigHav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:21 AM

alright I used adaware and its workin now... thx for the help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users