Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C++ Program

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Zane14

Zane14

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

Does anyone know of a good program that I can use C++ on (will notepad suffice)? I wanted to start to learn how to code it, and i was wondering if there was a specific program. Money is not an issue, so any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:29 AM

It's called Microsoft Visual Studios C++ 6.0. That's Microsoft's and the world's prefered choice for editing, running, and writing C++. It usually comes with PCs today but I could be wrong. Also, for learning C++ I personally recommend using the For Dummies series (C++ For Dummies) because it builds an excellent foundation and expands into moderately advanced concepts.

Edited by Elendil, 30 May 2006 - 11:30 AM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

That's Microsoft's and the world's prefered choice for editing, running, and writing C++.

I don't know why you think that.. it is certainly not my preferred choice, or anybody else that I know. There are countless others, one being Bloodshed. However, notepad is perfectly acceptable. You just have the additional overhead of learning how to compile on your own.

It usually comes with PCs today but I could be wrong.

You are.

#4 Zane14

Zane14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:13 PM

Ah sorry guys, I meant this to be in programming. Sorry.
Please could someone move this? And thankyou for the help, much appreciated =D

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the corrections groovicus! I don't know why I put the world's favorite, but it's definately Microsoft's favorite...
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#6 Alan-LB

Alan-LB

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:03 AM

As I have said in a reply to another thread [http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic54250.html], committing yourself to a Microsoft environment has many disadvantages.

If you are working in a Windows environment I would suggest Dev-C++ from Bloodshed. This is free and will give you a complete Integrated Development Environment (IDE) - Editor, links to the Compiler and Debugger. You could certainly use Notepad as your text based editor to create your source files if you wanted to (but dont use a Word Processor).

If you are using Linux, in the distribution there will be GCC compilers and several text based editors you could use, as well as a good debugger.

Please don't be misled by people who think Microsoft is the world's preferred choice of operating system. Many large businesses use Unix, Solaris, Mac OS-X, Linux and other operating systems. To be most employable in the world at large it would be best to learn a "Standard" version of C or C++ rather than a Microsoft version.

As a professional programmer I use and prefer Linux instead of Windows - it is a lot faster, a lot safer and more stable. It is also a much better Systems Development environment

Alan

Edited by Alan-LB, 02 June 2006 - 01:07 AM.

There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Today is the Beta version of Tomorrow!

#7 Twistshifter2

Twistshifter2

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:29 PM

i Want to learn as well, but everytime i start to read those big old books,
it starts to put me to sleep, lol, those book at first have alot of dry infomation and then i just stop and never pick the book back up. i do better by trying code then see what they do.
i want to to get really good at web designs and stuff
What It Do!!

#8 Alan-LB

Alan-LB

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 03:29 AM

Twistshifter2

You will never be able to learn without studying programming manuals and reference books, reading, understanding and trying out the examples. Thats how we all learned the profession of programming. If you are afraid of learning a profession why not take up knitting?

If you just "try code to see what they do" you will always remain ignorant of the true and correct way to design and code programs.

If you are not willing to put in the hard work and yet "want to get really good at web designs and stuff" (whatever you mean by "stuff") you are just wasting your time (and everyone elses). You certainly will never become a professional programmer!

Alan
There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary and those who don't!!

#9 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:01 AM

Well for Windows I use Quincy 2005 and on Linux I use Vim. I mostly just use Vim though, my brother is learning programming aswell and when we get together on my work, he really doesn't understand how to use Vim so I have to port my code over to windows and open up Quincy.

Theres not alot to compilers, theres alot of free ones available but both me and my brother are studying Computer Science at Uni. These are the compilers we use.

If I were you I'd be more concerned about how your going to go about learning C++ and where your getting your info from, what book to use ... etc. In reality what compiler you use doesn't really matter that much and shouldn't be such a problem.

Try Quincy 2005 out for the PC. I have heard its a little buggy, so make sure you save your work frequently.

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#10 Alan-LB

Alan-LB

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:36 AM

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

13331, 13337, 337, 37 and 7 are also primes - so what!!

:D

Alan

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

:thumbsup:

#12 JacobS

JacobS

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:14 AM

DevCpp is awesome, bloodshed produces it
http://www.bloodshed.net

(It's free)

Edited by JacobS, 24 June 2006 - 05:14 AM.

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users