Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory stick disappeared

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JW01

JW01

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

I got the “needs formatting” message on my memory stick.

I retrieved the files using Testdisk but it does not show useful filenames so I retrieved them using Zero Assumption Recovery.

I then did a quick format and checked it with Explorer and it showed no files, as expected.

I later hibernated the system.

When I resumed (not reboot) the drive had disappeared and nothing, including Testdisk, can find it.

I would like to use this stick if possible so is there any way to get it back? I don’t understand how it disappeared after hibernation when nothing should have changed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 varun.busy

varun.busy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

which OS you are using, also details of memory stick please...

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

Remove the USB flash drive. Reboot. Attach the drive. Is it detected?

Edit: Personally I would never have a USB flash or External Hard drive attached and on when going into Hiberanation.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#4 JW01

JW01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

Thanks for your replies.

My system is Windows XP SP3 and the memory stick is an 8GB Kingston Data Traveler.

When I reboot and reinsert it I get a “Found New Hardware Unknown Device” message followed by "USB Device Unknown" (and Unknown Device in Device Manager) and it is not recognised in Explorer..

On your last point: since everything is supposed to be saved on hibernation what is the potential risk to USB devices? I have never had a problem associated with hibernation before.

Thanks for your help.

#5 varun.busy

varun.busy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:29 AM

When you wake up a computer from hibernation in windows XP or earlier versions, anything connected via USB(keyboard, mouse, HDD etc) does not wake up. it has to be plugged again to work properly.  

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

It's probably safe to have the external drive connected. The following links are not your exact problem but you can see what happens when a person connects another drive while in hibernation. Hibernation dumps RAM to disk so there may be a chance of corruption. That's why I do not do it, especially when a USB flash drive is attached.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1345435

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9098378

With the USB flash drive attached is there anything in Disk Management? Is it listed as RAW? If you see your drive, partition and format it in Device Manager. If Disk Management does not see the USB flash drive, there may be a chance linux can find it. Download Puppy Linux. The lupu-528.005.iso is a good one for old computers. Burn the iso and boot. After Puppy loads to the desktop, attach the USB flash drive. You should see a USB icon appear in the left corner. Run Gparted from the Puppy Menu. In the upper right is a dropdown box. Make sure you are selecting your 8GB flash drive and not your internal hard drive.  Select it and select Device > Create New Partition Table in the menu bar. Then partition and format it to FAT32.

Here is a good tutorial on it's use.

#7 JW01

JW01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:01 AM

Many thanks for the input.

I'll report back.

#8 JW01

JW01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

No luck, I'm afraid.

The flash drive did not show in Disk Management after the hibernation although it did before (I did not remove or insert it while the system was switched off).

I tried PuppyLinux but it did not detect the drive. Just to be sure I tried another flash drive and that was detected.

So it looks like the drive is inaccessible, which is a pity.

Many thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users