Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worth upgrading? SSD and / or new video card?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bat5454

Bat5454

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

Hi - I have an old system, my first build from around 2008. 

It still runs but has a few problems besides being pretty slow.

I'm wondering if it'd be worth trying to upgrade, or is it time to retire it & rebuild, re-use my case & maybe PSU.

Specifically, could this old motherboard support an SSD & if so would it improve performance much?

And would a better video card help at all, & if so any suggestions?

Here's my system:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HeyvRjjNPjuDIehFitehvJT

THanks for any advice.

BT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

Yes it can support an SSD.  The motherboard has SATA II support (max 300 MB/s) which will limit the transfer performance of SSD's a little.  The fastest ones are even pushing the limits of the SATA III interface (600 MB/s).  However you would still benefit from much faster random access times.  Also, at a guess your 160Gb hard drive is probably not able to perform reads at even 100 MB/s so clearly if you use with an SSD that is limited to 300MB/s by the interface,  it'll still be a very noticeable improvement.

For optimum performance from your SSD a fresh re-install would be best.

And yes those Radeon X1550's are rather dated now.  An upgrade will help with things that require 3D performance.  So games and so on.  It won't help with general computer performance.  As a good middle of the road upgrade, the GTX 750 & GTX 750 Ti are reasonably priced, very power efficient and will offer a good deal more performance in modern 3D titles compared to what you have now.  But of course, it depends on what you want to do with the system and your budget.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users