Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Thermal paste ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 apexshay

apexshay

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

I will be removing the stock cooler off my pc in order to fit on my Noctua cooler , is it good to use pure isproypl alchol? and also what cotton swabs should I use?

cheers .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

Use a lint free cloth vice a cotton swab.

#3 apexshay

apexshay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

ok cool and generally when you work inside a computer , you must ground yourself ... is it sufficient to simply touch your pc case with everything unplugged to ground yourself before working on the pc? 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

As Elf-bane says, use a lint free cloth. If you can't lay your hands on one just make sure there are no bits of fluff sticking to the surfaces when you have finished cleaning. Iso-propyl alchohol is the ideal cleaning substance but if you haven't got any, methylated spirit (methanol) will do almost as well.

You may fine that there is a thin gasket between the heat sink and the CPU. These are made - I think - of neoprene and if there is one ideally you should replace it with a new one. So long as it isn't torn you can re-use it, but you need to clean both sides carefully. Then apply a thin even smear of paste to both sides of the gasket, re-position it and clamp the heatsink down on top of it. In this case, you apply the paste to both sides of the gasket and not to either the CPU or the bottom of the heatsink.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users