Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

files access denied

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 jonni2341

jonni2341

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

good morning folks, I have a small problem that has come up since last nite. I opened the computer this morning and i went into the C:/ drive. In the list of libraries and things that come up on the lefthand side. Next to Documents and Settings there is a small box with a black arrow curving up toward the righthand corner. I tried to open D&S and a message came up basically saying " cannot open" "Access denied". The same symbol is on the lefthand side of the screen next to "libraries" with the same dialog box when I open it. The only change to the computer I have made is to instal Avast free Antivirus, which is working fine. Any answers or opinions appreciated. Regards, jonni2341

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonni2341

jonni2341
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:03 AM

Hi again folks, In my post regarding File Access denied... There is no small black arrow next to "Libraries" on the lefthand of the screen. Regards jonni2341

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 July 2014 - 10:42 AM.
originally posted as a separate topic. Merged post into this one since it concerns the same issue mentioned in the first post here

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi,

Have you downloaded and installed all of the updates, and after that rebooted?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Please post a screen shot of this.

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jonni2341

jonni2341
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:00 AM

Hi dc3, Many thanks for your mail. I downloaded 'A Thousand Words' and, after I clicked on the first screen it appeared and then froze. If I understand it right you want a screen picture of the part that shows 'Documents and Settings' with the little box and arrow beside that part of the screen. wasn't there a program in Wins XP that could do that using Paint? If it is in wind 8, then perhaps I can use that.? regards john...

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

What I want to see is what you have described in your second post.

Apparently creating the screen shot is either too complicated for you or there is a problem with the program.  Rather than try to figure this out let's use the Snipping tool to create this image.

Please use the Snipping Tool to copy the image, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.   After you have the image you will want to go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name and click on save .

Using the Snipping Tool to copy an image. 

To open the Snipping tool click on the Start orb, then type snipping tool in the search box.  Snipping Tool will appear above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.  

Before you open the Snipping Tool have the image you want to copy one the destop, then open the Snipping Tool.

A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  

After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save.    

You can post this image in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jonni2341

jonni2341
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Hi dc3, I am sorry but the snip tool on my Wins 8 machine is totally different to what you describe. I managed to get a screen shot but when it came to attaching it  I couldn't do it. I think we will have to forget this unless you have any other options, Best regards, John.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

I tried to post an image I created using the snipping tool.  The maximum size for an image is 17MB, my image was mere kB and was told that it was too large.  I host my images at photobucket, so this is the first time since I tested the system way back when that I've tried to use it.

By the way, I'm running Windows 8 as well, but I have the Classic Shell installed so I don't use Settings to launch the snipping tool. 

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

jonni2341 if you are familiar with windows paint you can use that to create your image.

What you want to do is open Windows Paint first.

Then look on your keyboard for the key called print screen, it may be abbreviated, but it should be next to the scroll lock key.

Once you have your issue on screen, tap the print screen several times making sure the image was taken.

Next maximize windows paint and then hit the ctrl key and then the V key which is the equivalent of paste.

Your screen shot should appear in windows paint.

Next, look for the CROP tool in the paint menu a lasso will appear with dotted lines.

Crop your image to only include what is relevant to this topic and click the CROP tool again.

This should crop your image to a smaller size only including what is relevant to your topic.

Now, in the menu, look for the image of a floppy diskette in the paint menu, click this.

Save as a .png image and save to your Desktop for easy retrieval.

Now follow dc3's instructions to attach the image to your post.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

@MrBruce1959

Their problem is posting the image in their topic.  I'm experiencing the same problem, we are being told that the file size is too large.

The maximum file size is 17MB, the file I was trying to post was only 8.36KB.  

I will see if I can get one of the Glo Mods to take a look into this.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hmmm? Perhaps I am not experiencing this issue because of my staff title? :scratchhead:

If need be, I can offer to accept the image via email and host it on the Bleeping Computer file server and add it to the forum board.

As far as I know, there are no other issues or complaints being reported about the membership file size not being allowed on the forum board.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 July 2014 - 06:18 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

No complaint but the note at the bottom of the editor window says that I'm limited to a 512KB attachment

Not sure How much the system will let me cram into the editor before it turns belly up and rejects/ejects everything

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#13 jonni2341

jonni2341
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

I tried to post an image I created using the snipping tool.  The maximum size for an image is 17MB, my image was mere kB and was told that it was too large.  I host my images at photobucket, so this is the first time since I tested the system way back when that I've tried to use it.

By the way, I'm running Windows 8 as well, but I have the Classic Shell installed so I don't use Settings to launch the snipping tool. 

Hi dc3, I hope this get to you ok, Firstly, you wanted to know about my second post and, wanted an image of it. All is is, I made a mistake in my first post saying that there was also a square with an arrow the same as the one beside Documents and Settings. That is why I sent my second post. telling you of my mistake. The remaining problem is the little square and the arrow inside pointing to Documents and Settings, and not allowibng me to open this section.Incidentally, I do not know what is in D &

S,, I just wanted to know why I was refused access. I hope you can understand what I am getting at, I am getting a bit confused here ha ha. Best regards, John.

If you don't mind, I would like to tack a reply to MrBruce1959 on here. I can't find a way to reply to him. I just wnted to say thanks for joining the conversation and putting forward his advice. Unfortunately, i was unable to carry out his instructions re the Paint program as I could not capture an image. Thank you...John

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

I would like to tack a reply to MrBruce1959 on here. I can't find a way to reply to him. I just wnted to say thanks for joining the conversation and putting forward his advice. Unfortunately, i was unable to carry out his instructions re the Paint program as I could not capture an image. Thank you...John

Hi jonni2341.

I just want to be able to help you get your image on the forum board for public view. So that is why I have jumped in to help you.

Did you try and use paint? It is a part of Windows 8.

Also, did you try the print screen key on your keyboard?

Once you get a screen shot, if the forum board is not allowing you to attach an image, I can add it to the forum board because I can host it on the BC website where I am not subject to file size limitations.

If you are curious as to how I would get your image, we could converse via the Personal Messenger and I can offer you my email address to which you can send me your image. 

Bruce.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

Hi jonni2341.

I have received your PM and have answered you, be sure to check the small envelope to the left of your name in the upper right corner of your browser, it should have a number next to it indicating you have one new message. Click that and you should see my reply.

I will work with you in an attempt to get your screen shot posted in this topic.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users