Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it poss to take a Windows 7 from one comp to add to another?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

To clarify the above. I was having problems with my Winows 7 which was 'repaired' by a computer 'technician'. I found out fairly quickly that this was not the genuine article. He said it was all he could to to rectify the problem LOL!  The Laptop is a HP Presario.

Now i also have a Fujitsu laptop with a genuine Windows 7. Is it possible to download this and upload it (or whatever) into my HP.?  My problem is that as a pensioner i really cannot afford the exhorbitant price of the genuine article here in the Philippines. And what's more, i cannot be sure that it would be truly genuine! You may question this, but in this country you have to be careful with whatever branded article you buy as so many are fake!

It may well not be possible, or even too unethical for someone to advise me. If so i accept that. I also realise that if it were possible, then the genuine Windows might turn to a 'fake' the moment it was loaded!

Many thanks for any help or advice some kind person may be able to give.  It will be much appreciated. JH

i

Edited by John in Oman, 09 July 2014 - 01:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:11 AM

It would be easier and better for you to save the files and folders you want to keep.  (e.g. my documents, pictures, music, videos etc)

And use your system restore or recovery disk.  If you do not have one, go to HP.com and look for downloads for your service tag or software ID.

Other than that, getting a new windows 7 is advised.  You search for a HP windows 7 DVD and go that way, but I cannot tell you how to do this.  Simply because its not really legal, and we don't do that here.

sorry wish I had better info for you,

good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 TheGreatGarbled

TheGreatGarbled

• Banned
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

Kim Komando's Website has the old Digital River/Microsoft .iso's. I believe they still work. here--> 

You should be able to download the entire 3.1 GIG Windows 7 .iso, burn that to a DVD after it's done being downloaded with free Infra-Recorder or another burner program and Install it.  THEN try and enter your "valid" Windows registration # off that PC. If it doesn't work? you should be able to call MS on an 800-toll free number and hassle them for a valid code. Especially if you bought the PC with Windows7 on it. I made my own DVD with Windows 7 from those downloads and it worked when I deleted Win7 by playing around with Gparted disc partition program. This is also why I use Linux 99% of the time. NO "genuine" #'s to worry about since Linux is free. YOU always have a disc. Linux distros are all at Distrowatch website      http://distrowatch.com/

Edited by TheGreatGarbled, 09 July 2014 - 02:47 AM.

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

What do mean "not a genuine article" ? Do you have a legitimate Microsoft license key for your version of Win 7 ?

#5 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

Thank you both very much for your advice. I appreciate i what you have both said and i am sure i shall be able to sort something out.  Regards.JH

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

Now i also have a Fujitsu laptop with a genuine Windows 7. Is it possible to download this and upload it (or whatever) into my HP.? 

Many thanks for any help or advice some kind person may be able to give.  It will be much appreciated. JH

No...different systems have different licenses applicable, as well as drivers and other settings.  You would unnecessarily just create problems for yourself that would lead to frustration.

If you have a valid Windows key/license for each system...the best solution would be try what was suggested by TheGreatGarbler above.

Louis

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

- HP puts all the installation files for the system drivers in the folder called "C:\Swsetup". Make a backup of that entire folder (e.g. on a USB stick). Then after you re-installed Win 7 you can re-install the HP system drivers as well.

- You can also install the Win 7 installation files on a USB stick. Installing Win 7 from a USB stick is MUCH faster than re-installed from DVD and or CD.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-usb-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-using-windows-7-dvdusb-tool/

All works well provided you have a genuine legitimate MS License key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users