Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken White connector on Motherboard...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 catunderthestars

catunderthestars

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

So i was taking apart my laptop and the connector that you plug the power board to broke off the motherboard...  I can't find where to order those... So i can solder one back on the motherboard.. Here are some pictures of the motherboard and cable without the female piece in which i need.

jsnlZhJ.jpg

qVg6Y5C.jpg

WtOYgcz.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

you could solder the leads directly to the board.

#3 catunderthestars

catunderthestars
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

which wire goes where

#4 catunderthestars

catunderthestars
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

i tried and i can't get the solder to stick to the board.... does scraping the old solder off mess things up? cause i did.... also i don't have any flux

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

i tried and i can't get the solder to stick to the board.... does scraping the old solder off mess things up? cause i did.... also i don't have any flux

Scraping the old solder off could have scraped the copper trace with the solder, solder won't stick to silicon board (not easily!). If you are going to remove solder always heat with an iron to liquid state and use copper ribbon or a solder sucker to clean a contact point.

I would probably solder the leads to the board as mentioned. If they don't stick, tin the wires and re-tin the contact points on the board. Heat just the contact point on the board and then when the solder is liquid, touch the tinned wire to the contact point and let the heat liquify the wire tin. They should stick together and then remove the iron and the points should be joined. The only way I could find the replacement power connector is on another mainboard, you would likely have to remove one from a bad board and then solder it to yours.

As to which one goes where, the wire likely has been bent for so long it should be easy to figure out what wire goes where. It should be in somewhat the correct position naturally.

Edited by zingo156, 09 July 2014 - 10:35 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users