Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

I installed an ssd and windows 8 on my desktop (windows 8 was installed on the new ssd). Windows 7 was already installed on a raid 1 (2*2TB spindle drives)

Anyway after installing windows 8 it gave me the option to choose my OS on boot (I figured it would dual boot) it was a windows 8 type boot menu similar to this one in the link but instead of linux I had windows 7: http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-and-linux.htm

After installing all of the drivers for windows the boot menu disappeared. Windows 8 was loading without displaying the option to choose the os, it just booted straight to eight! LOL

I manually used the bios boot menu (pointing at my windows 7 drive) to try to load windows 7 and recieved the error in the picture I attached.

Anyway if I hit F9 to load another operating system windows 7 loads as it should.

Something happened to the boot data for windows 8 I assume? (strange that windows 8 loads fine and 7 does not without hitting F9). I don't feel much like spending the time to research this at the moment and hope someone already knows the fix off the top of their head.

I have a feeling this may be UEFI related.

Edited by zingo156, 09 July 2014 - 07:14 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Off the top of my head

I use I reboot from NeoSmart Technologies for my multi-boot machine - currently 4 driver with booting OSs on all

May not suit your needs but that's my best guess

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

The picture didn't post, this is the closest I could find: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NBGO9f4J0zc/Ui3W8wXaU5I/AAAAAAAAAdg/C18bO9_WuA4/s1600/Error+Code+0xc000000f+Windows+8+A+Required+device+isn%25E2%2580%2599t+connected+or+can%25E2%2580%2599t+be+accessed.png

The only difference between the error in that link and mine is:

I have Press F9 to use a different operating system at the bottom instead of Press esc for UEFI firmware settings.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

I took a break to watch a movie and then came back with a fresh mind.

SOLVED:

From windows 8 I restarted into comand prompt and used a command:   bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

I did verify the correct drive and OS missing (windows 7 and my raid 1 array)  when running the above command. After re-adding the windows 7 OS to the boot configuration data I now have the dual boot screen which waits for me to click on windows 8 or windows 7.

Here is what the dual boot menu screen looks like (windows 8 controls the boot screen) http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/353817-multiboot-startup-menu.jpg

Now I wonder what will happen when I remove the SSD... I bet I will have to fix the boot loader for windows 7. I'll cross that bridge if it ever comes.

Edited by zingo156, 08 July 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Off the top of my head

I use I reboot from NeoSmart Technologies for my multi-boot machine - currently 4 driver with booting OSs on all

May not suit your needs but that's my best guess

Keep us posted

Thanks for the suggestion. I assume this is some sort of third part GRUB? It would likely work but this seemed like a simple issue. I completely forgot about my old pal command prompt but on a clear mind I looked back to my days of the old black screen and boot commands.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

zingo156,

I too like the command prompt. However, as MS continues to bury the ease and functionality of DOS and its commands I've taken the easy road. Yes I reboot is third party. It will also allow you to edit your various BCD files and reorder booting so you can boot to W8, W7 or any other OS that is on the system.

As always the choice is yours

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

#7 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

I had to google how to restart windows 8 to command prompt, it was pretty burried, I could have used the windows install disc...

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

Isn't that cheating? [rdh] :)

Dick E

#9 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

I suppose it is cheating in a way. I also couldn't remember the exact bootrec.exe command so I looked up the commands as well. I haven't really had to use bootrec.exe in a long time.

I used windows 8 when it first came out to test it and get familiar with it, but didn't keep it installed for long. There was no classic start at that time and I found myself using the windows key + R, E, etc to use it effectively, basically it drove me back to near keyboard only mode (dos days) so I ditched it. I am only now kind of migrating to it. I am using the classic start menu from ninite.com

[rdh] ??? not sure what that is. I do not do the typical short hand texting things outside of LOL. I guess I am old school.

Some things I do like about windows 8 is: with dual monitor, you have a start menu on both screens. It shows much more information in task manager. When copying data it shows all copies going at once in 1 window rather than popping up a new window for each instance.

It is still windows behind the scene, and command line is command line. If they ever take that away (doubtufl) I wouldn't be able to use windows anymore.

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

rdh = run, duck, hide

usually used when commenting with tongue firmly in cheek

your w8 experience parallels mine - didn't even like the new version of solitaire

dual monitors aren't new for me - had them at home and work for a while now. hope to never have to go back. maintenance on my wife's sometimes gets a bit testy - my problem

I don't see keyboards going away so I don't think that the command line is in too much danger, right now

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users