Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Genuine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 theonlybuster

theonlybuster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

So I have a very interesting problems.

I own a Toshiba Laptop.  Brought it brand new in a fully sealed box from I wanna say either NewEgg, CompUSA, or similar store.  It was purchased about 4yrs ago. 

About 9months ago the laptop's screen died on me so I transplanted the hard drive into a desktop as the main drive and I have been using that ever since. 

A couple days ago I got a warning saying my version of Win 7 Home Premium was not genuine.  This totally threw me off because I've NEVER re-installed the OS, or anything of that sort.  So now it appears the only option Microsoft is giving me is to purchase a legit version of Win7. 

Now I have the original Laptop shell, and it still has a readable Product Key, my question is will that do me any good?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

When you activate Windows, it creates a unique identifier, based on the current hardware.  When there is a significant change in hardware, the unique identifier is validate by M$, and if it is far enough off, it become invalid, and you have to reactivate it.

This should answer your questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activating-windows-faq#1TC=windows-7

Basically, reenter the key, and reactivate.

Best of luck! :bananas: :bounce:

#3 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

When you activate Windows, it creates a unique identifier, based on the current hardware.  When there is a significant change in hardware, the unique identifier is validate by M$, and if it is far enough off, it become invalid, and you have to reactivate it.

This should answer your questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activating-windows-faq#1TC=windows-7

Basically, reenter the key, and reactivate.

Best of luck! :bananas: :bounce:

Flawless. Worked perfectly.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users