Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File deletion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 altonius

altonius

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

Hey,

So, some time back, I was having trouble deleting some iso.'s. The machine kept telling me that the iso was open in the system. I forget who, but one forum member suggested I use FileAssassin. It worked. I now have some more to delete and when I use FileAssassin it tells me that it has closed the process. So far, so good. But when I then try to delete the item in 'Downloads', it tells me the process is still open!

Instead of suggesting another app, I would really like someone to explain what exactly is happening. What is it that is causing this? And how do I remedy the situation?

As usual, I would appreciate any info you would like to share. Thanks.

P.S. I am running Windows 8.1 Update. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hi,

My workaround for files that don't want to go away is safe mode. Usually eliminates all of the extra stuff and I can get the job done without pulling out the last few hairs [on my chin]

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hi,

My workaround for files that don't want to go away is safe mode. Usually eliminates all of the extra stuff and I can get the job done without pulling out the last few hairs [on my chin]

Keep us posted

Hey,

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't understand your post. Rather, I don't understand how that would get rid of the offending files. 

And doesn't safe mode also limit other functions in the system?  As you can probably tell, I am not exactly at the "Geek" level with computers, so any extra info would be helpful. Thanks.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

Safe mode will limit your options but you still have the tools necessary to delete files.

Try booting to safe mode with networking

That will look 'almost' like a normal boot

Use windows explorer to move to the folder(s) and files(s) you want to delete and see if the delete command works

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Safe mode will limit your options but you still have the tools necessary to delete files.

Try booting to safe mode with networking

That will look 'almost' like a normal boot

Use windows explorer to move to the folder(s) and files(s) you want to delete and see if the delete command works

Keep us posted

Thank you sir. Your solution did the trick, although there is another aspect to this. 

There had been 4 files that I couldn't delete. 

I gave up trying after 3, which left one not deleted. (Are you with me so far?)

So, when the machine rebooted into safe mode, the three files were already gone. I think I should have restarted after using FileAssassin!

When it came to the 4th file, it deleted immediately in safe mode, so your suggestion was right on the mark. Thanks again.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

As a matter of 'better' practice always reboot after doing any amount of 'changing'. This would include updates, upgrades, deletions, installs, etc.. You have to remember that your machine is rather dumb. It only adds ones and zeros, so you can't 'assume' that it knows what you're doing. I 'assume' that the only time the system takes an inventory of everything and updates the displays is when it boots up. I may reboot a time or two too often but so far the practice hasn't failed me.[I have also been known not to follow my own good advice]

My advice is worth what you paid for it. So, til next time

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users