Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is the best windows tune up program?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 raed972

raed972

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Dear Sir..

I have windows 7 ultimate V6.1 64-bit installed on my Laptop (hp T4300 @ 2.10 GHz, Pentium Dual-Core CPU with 4.00 GB RAM memory and 300 GB hard disk). I had this Laptop since 2010.

My laptop is running a little slow these days. I don't like to install windows updates that I receive notifications for.

I also have MBAM Pro latest version. I also have Norton V21.3.0.12 installed. I don't think I have any infections on my device.

While searching, I came across several programs that claim they will fix registry and tune up my windows and make it faster. I have bad experience with such programs in the past and I am a little confused.

These programs are:

1. Registry Reviver

2. CCleaner

3. TuneUp Utilities 2014

4. and finally your program Windows Repair (all-in-one) V2.8.0

Which program should I purchase/install.??

or shall I just update my windows and use full scan by MBAM and Norton

Thank you in advance

Raed Shatnawi

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2014 - 09:38 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

You should NEVER use any registry utilities - they cause problems, the don't cure anything. The best way to keep a system in good shape is by being a "smart user" (keep a good av resident, regular scans with your AV and MalwareBytes, never download questionable items or anything from a questionable site, don't visit questionable sites, don't open email attachments unless you are 100% certain you know what they are, etc).

When you say your system is running a little slow, please be specific. EXACTLY what is slow?

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

c cleaner is good and is available from on this site. it is quite safe as long as you avoid the registry stuff it can offer. it is free and lets you clear temp files (which can slow you down when they pile up) and also allows for disabling, without permanently deleting, automatic startup for various programs and utilities. as long as you can work out what the startup entries are you are safe to disable any that are not either part of windows or your antivirus. updating windows won't make the machine faster but you need to do it to keep it secure, a full scan is worth doing every week or so ( do it while you cook or watch tv/dvd through something other than this laptop). also clearing your browsing history, recycle bin and any files you don't need, and uninstalling programs you don't use is helpful. i manually use ccleaner to remove temp files and other cr*p from my hard drive every few weeks.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 RandomGG

RandomGG

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

You can disable services that you don't use, those run in the background and can slow down your system. There is some good info about that on the web, like this .

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

You should not disable services unless you know exactly what you are doing. In most cases, disabling services serves no purpose whatsoever.

#6 RandomGG

RandomGG

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

Of course, you have to be careful, that's why I put that link on the answer.

Which Windows Services Are Safe to Disable & When?

I would like to help you decide which Windows 7 and Windows 8 services are safe to disable and when. While disabling unneeded services can have a positive impact on performance, disabling the wrong services can have a big negative impact on the overall performance and stability of your system. I will do my best to guide you and provide balanced and useful advice.

Cheers

#7 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

I nearly lost my PC with one, specifically AVG's one.  Don't use them.
Here's myself nearly losing my PC:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541000/avg-pc-tune-up-has-done-some-damage/

I sped up my system by doing loads of research and turning off individual services manually, and deleting some ancient files that I had made years ago.  You'd be shocked how much useless stuff you can begin carrying with you once you're dilligent about backing up your data.  Not to mention old programmes you've neither seen nor heard from in ages but are still installed.  Uninstall those if you know what you're doing.  If you don't, google until you do, or ask here.  Always be safe first.

Edited by EPDGaffney, 17 July 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

Just as an aside, unless your hd is full, uninstalling programs has nothing to do with speeding up your system. And the same goes for "turning off" services. The latter may help a touch with boot time, but that's all.

What will help are:

• Insuring your system is malware-free
  • limiting the processes / programs that LOAD with the OS
  • Defragmenting from time to time
  • Keeping the INSIDE of your desktop system free of dust

And of course ram and processor play a large part. But no matter how powerful your system is, you can tax it by running too many memory intensive apps at the same time.

#9 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Allan, I'm no expert, so I don't doubt you, but whatever happened, after I did what I did my system was much faster.

I think I know what happened.  I said 'services', but I meant just 'things'.  I stopped 'things' running.  That's services, applications, processes, &c.  That makes sense.  Sorry for that little confusion there.

Edited by EPDGaffney, 18 July 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#10 ubuzz

ubuzz

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

I try to clean up the temp files on a regular basis as well.

#11 EPDGaffney

EPDGaffney

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

ubuzz, I do that as well, but that doesn't seem to help much.  I think there's known ways to speed up a computer with a very poor speed (compared with its expected performance) but after a point, we don't really know precisely what can be done, though I'm sure there's something.  If you've never cleaned your temp files I imagine the difference would be noticeable, but if it's only been a month or so (though I do it about once a week), I don't expect you'd note a vast difference, or that's my experience anyway.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

To the OP raed972 primarily But also anyone else reading this topic regarding "what is the best windows tune up program?"

Bleeping Computer's official stance is as follows:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users