Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to reduce Winsxs folder size

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 green_orange

green_orange

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hello bleeps!

I have had my windows 7 64-bit installation for a while now, and I have a problem, that is the winsxs folder is taking up alot of space in my system partition :(

Here is a picture:

CRdUbZA.jpg

Detailed info:

I tried to solve the problem (some time ago) by deleting the folder :crazy:  but I was afraid of messing my system, so I cut the folder to some other directory and restarted.

Got a BSOD when windows loaded  :o

Fortuantely, I was able to boot into a live linux distro through USB and return the folder to its place. My Windows was up and running again  :grinner:

Now I googled a bit to find that Microsoft issued an update that adds "Windows UPdates cleanup" to the "disk cleanup" tool.

Tried to install that x64 update. It told me that I already had it installed. (cuz i'm regularly using Windows updates  :cherry:  ).

But still, I wasn't getting "Windows Updates cleanup" in the "disk cleanup" tool  :nono:

I tried something today.. :tophat:  I check for updates in "Windows Update", and I found a bunch of em, so I downloaded and installed them all. After I restarted the PC, I started "disk cleanup" tool on the C:/ drive. I was surprised to find "Windows Updates Cleanup" in the list  :unsure: It was about 260 MB (I think it is for the bunch of the updates before the restart).

Now I'm confused and don't know what to do to regain some space taken by the "winsxs folder".

Any suggestions?  :afro:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

- DO NOT touch the "c:\windows\winsxs" folder. Windows stores copies of all (previous) updated files in that folder. If you "break it" then you might end up re-installing your entire Operating System. If this "Winsxs" system works then it's a wonderful system but it also can be a nightmare.

- Only use the "Windows clean up" tool to reduce the size of that folder. Although I would use that option "Windows Update" with very much caution. Only if you're EXTREMELY sure you don't want to un-install updates.

- If you want to regain disk space then delete the folder "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads" every now and then. Over time, A LOT OF files can accumulate in this folder.

Edited by Willy22, 08 July 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#3 green_orange

green_orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

- If you want to regain disk space then delete the folder "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads" every now and then. Over time, A LOT OF files can accumulate in this folder.

Did it now :( 

It was only ~200MB though

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 737 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

That winsxs folder seems a bit of a nightmare on win 7,you cant touch it,it stores critical files ans runs filechecker,  "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads" is where Win Update downloads updates before it  installs them,you can delete it for a small return of space,If you really want to get some space back run Bleachbit or Privizer.(carefully,carefully)

.http://sourceforge.net/projects/bleachbit/

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

Unfortunately this folder gets big.  On an old Vista machine I was using, I recall it was ridiculous, it got to about 20Gb or more and because Vista was installed on a 40Gb disk, it became unusable.

If 8Gb space is of so much concern, perhaps you should get a larger HDD?  I wouldn't suggest less than 120Gb as a system drive (for SSD's).  For HDD's 1Tb drives are very affordable now.

You may be able to remove service pack files to free up some room.  It's typically a few gigabytes. Either use "Disk Cleanup" and choose "Clean Up System Files" and see if it contains old Service Pack installation files.  Or you can do it through command line with the command "DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded" (without the quotes).

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

I'd just like to say you need to listen to the all the above advice to leave that folder alone.  Your Winsxs folder is a whole lot smaller than mine; mine's 14.8 GB.  You CAN start the Windows Explorer, right-click the C: drive, click Properties, click the General tab, then click the Disk cleanup button.  That will delete a lot of junk that's accumulated in your TEMP folders.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 09 July 2014 - 10:26 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Here is a good reference on what it is and what it does. Winsxs never got very large in XP because it used the dllcache folder which Windows 7 does not have.

Edit: For the size hard drives are today, as already mentioned, leave it alone.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#8 green_orange

green_orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

If you really want to get some space back run Bleachbit or Privizer.(carefully,carefully)

I have a bunch of programs that do the same job :) Thanks for the suggestion.

If 8Gb space is of so much concern, perhaps you should get a larger HDD?

I already have 2x 1TB drives, a 640GB drive, and an external 500GB one  :alien: .

But I was thinking of it as some sort of challenge (wanted to know how stuff works and so on)  B)

Your Winsxs folder is a whole lot smaller than mine; mine's 14.8 GB.

Dude  :woot: That's big 

I have had my windows installation for like 3 years of heavy use and it's still at 8GB.

Edit: For the size hard drives are today, as already mentioned, leave it alone.

Will do  :police:

Thanks alot for the help guys  :wub:

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users