Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Loss During Downloads and Stream

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Eveenus

Eveenus

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

Ok so whenever I download something I will get disconnected from any VOIP clients I have running as well as not be able to browse

As an example I could be updating a game on steam, I'll get disconnected from teamspeak, and the store pages won't load.

This also happens when I stream videos off Vimeo and some other sources, though not Youtube and other various youtube like sources.

I should probably mention exactly a year ago (june) this exact same thing happened and I ended up fighting with my ISP because it would not only cut my computer off, but also anyone else that was using my router. My ISP was never able to figure out what was going but I bought a second hard drive and when I reformatted my main hard drive and reinstalled windows the problem magically went away; until now at least.

I run AVG, malwarebytes, and IObit Advanced System Care once a week to clean up my system (if there is anything to clean up) and the problem has been going on for a little over a month now and I'm basically at my wit's end. I have no idea where to go from here and would rgeatly appreciate any help because I would rather not have to format my hard drive and reinstall windows,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

Are others unable to connect when this happens this time? If it's affecting more than one computer, it's not your machine, it's the router.

#3 spelaben

spelaben

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

Ok so whenever I download something I will get disconnected from any VOIP clients I have running as well as not be able to browse

As an example I could be updating a game on steam, I'll get disconnected from teamspeak, and the store pages won't load.

This also happens when I stream videos off Vimeo and some other sources, though not Youtube and other various youtube like sources.

I should probably mention exactly a year ago (june) this exact same thing happened and I ended up fighting with my ISP because it would not only cut my computer off, but also anyone else that was using my router. My ISP was never able to figure out what was going but I bought a second hard drive and when I reformatted my main hard drive and reinstalled windows the problem magically went away; until now at least.

I run AVG, malwarebytes, and IObit Advanced System Care once a week to clean up my system (if there is anything to clean up) and the problem has been going on for a little over a month now and I'm basically at my wit's end. I have no idea where to go from here and would rgeatly appreciate any help because I would rather not have to format my hard drive and reinstall windows,

Check my thread over here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540051/network-troubleshooting/

Had kind of the same problem and ended up resetting one of my devices because this was the culprit. Try to setup a capture with wireshark to see what excactly happens the moment you lose connection. If you need more help with this let me know.

#4 Eveenus

Eveenus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Are others unable to connect when this happens this time? If it's affecting more than one computer, it's not your machine, it's the router.

I only have the one computer on this router no wireless to check other devices (or other devices i can hardwire)

Check my thread over here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540051/network-troubleshooting/

Had kind of the same problem and ended up resetting one of my devices because this was the culprit. Try to setup a capture with wireshark to see what excactly happens the moment you lose connection. If you need more help with this let me know.

Like I said before I only have the one device so I think this is a bit different; however I got wireshark even though I have no idea how to really use it set up a capture during "normal" browsing" and another with right after I started downloading a game on steam (and everything else cut out) and saved/screenshotted a bit them both. Don't understand anything about them but seems like you can.

Really appreciate the help with this; it's been driving me insane for weeks.

rCg22Un.png

O3yHXnN.png

Obviously these aren't the whole logs but I can upload them somewhere if you want

Edited by Eveenus, 12 July 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#5 spelaben

spelaben

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Alright, can you give me more details about your network setup? Or do you really only have one router which is connected to the computer via patch cable?
Does your router run the latest firmware? Are your network interface card drivers up to date?

#6 Eveenus

Eveenus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

I have the modem/router from my ISP which is a sagemcom F@st 1704N with the wireless (by my part) turned off since I have no wireless devices.

I'm assuming by patch cable you mean a standard ethernet cable if not then that is what I use.

Last time I called my ISP about this issue they did a factory reset and update so I can only assume the firmware is up to date. I actually have 4 other modem/routers of the same model sitting in my closet because my ISP has just replaced them trying to "fix" the issue.

My network card is built into my motherboard and I'm rdiculously anal about updating all my drivers so I can guarantee that at least.

Edit: I should probably mention I turned off the wireless on my router right after I set it up and it's been fine for almost a year (until now)

Edited by Eveenus, 12 July 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

Looking at the wireshark capture on the second screenshot, the traffic is all going to the same IP address, which maps to Highwinds Network Group according to a whois query based on the IP address of 209.197.26.243. That address isn't on your network, it's out on the Internet. From what I can tell, they are a content delivery service and they work with Steam to deliver games and other content.

Either your Ethernet cable, your computer, your router or Highwind's server is dropping the packets, and that's what is causing the congestion on your network and is also causing the problems with your Internet connection. Have you had the Ethernet cable tested? Can you swap it out with another one? Can you try adding a network card rather than using the built-in one? Updating the drivers won't help if the onboard NIC itself has gone bad. Also doublecheck the DNS configuration on your router. If you can change the default DNS servers used by the router, try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Those are Google's public DNS servers. If the issue persists after the change, it's something local on your side of the router.

You may also want to test the TCP/IP stack and configuration on your PC: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169790

#8 Eveenus

Eveenus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

I'll connect another ethernet cable, I have tons of them lying around. I don't have a slot to put a new network card (mostly because my video card is so gigantic)

I used to use OpenDNS I'll try using that again and if that doesn't work I'll sue the google ones too.

I'll report back as soon as I test all these things, thanks for the help/ideas!

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

If you can't fit a new NIC in there, can you get ahold of a USB Ethernet adapter and try that instead? Failing NICs are notorious for sending out lots of bad packets and clogging up networks.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Another thought -- does the computer have a wireless card? If not, see if you can get and attach a cheap WiFi connector that plugs into a USB port, and turn the WiFi on your router on and try browsing that way. This or the above option are the best ways to rule out whether the onboard network interface hardware is the issue.

#11 Eveenus

Eveenus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

So I went in to town to go get network adapter, that didn't go so well staples, radioshack and (guh) walmart all did not have any. On the plus side I took the opportunity to clean my computer of some lingering dust though when I got back to an open pc waiting for attention.

So I changed up the ethernet cord, tested it out again and same thing

Just changed the DNS to google's, which i can only assume I did right because my connection isn't completely lost but here are screens which I is getting my hope up because imgur is actually showing me thumbnails when I go to upload them. Which it did not before (yes I am typing this as I go along)

vzdeAss.png

here's the after

WzDHssG.png

and it's still cutting everything else off

SO

SUWYDrW.jpg

there are the slots on my motherboard (taken conviniently before I decided to hell with it time to clean this up)

The top one is occupado by my video card (not shown)

and the second one is forever empty in the shadow of my video card's gigantic fan

3 and 4 are free so I was thinking either

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Gigabit-Network-Adapter-EXPI9301CTBLK/dp/B001CY0P7G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405296517&sr=8-3&keywords=express+network+adapter

or

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PCI-Express-Gigabit-Network-Adapter/dp/B00ARJLWW4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1405296517&sr=8-9&keywords=express+network+adapter

I'm not particularly keen on spending more and then it not being the issue (and I don't exactly have much cash to throw around willy nilly)

Edit: also could get http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PCI-Express-Gigabit-Network-Adapter/dp/B00ARJLWW4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1405296517&sr=8-9&keywords=express+network+adapter

which i just found if you think that would be better than a pci-e network adapter

Edited by Eveenus, 13 July 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Yes, you entered the DNS addresses correctly. Interesting that that seems to have speeded up your connection a bit. Any wireshark screen captures you can share using the Google DNS servers?

I also notice you have IPv6 enabled. Any particular reason? Some ISPs don't support IPv6 and this has been known to create issues when it is enabled on the router or computer. Make sure your ISP supports it.

Any one of the above NICs should work. In fact, PCI-E may be the preferable slot for the NIC card as PCI-E tends to have faster data transfer rates. And as you mention cables, what type are you using? Make sure it isn't Cat 4 -- use at least Cat 5 or Cat 5e.

If you are worried about spending on a NIC you may not need, I would recommend seeing if you can borrow one from someone. Or borrow a USB Ethernet adapter or USB WiFi adapter. I can understand your reluctance -- I'd be reluctant too. If you can beg or borrow a temporary NIC that would be preferable. Again, we just want to see if it's a hardware issue. If you can't, then don't be ashamed to base your decision re a NIC card on price.

#13 Eveenus

Eveenus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:28 PM

Here's two Wireshark screens the first while a youtube video is going (which still allows me to browse normally) and another with a steam download (which is the most reliable way I have of replicating the issue)

JZWAmSZ.png

v59Bh15.png

I'm assuming because my ISP set it that way, I've never actually turned it on myself. How would I check to see if my ISP supports it?

umm I think they're Cat 5, it's the only term I'm familiar with anyways. Is there a way for my to know it's specifically a Cat 5 compared to a Cat 4? Either way here's a picture of another cable jsut like the one i'm using (don't worry the one i'm using isn't "exposed" like this one this one was replaced like 2 years ago when i saw that been sitting in my closet since).

FCF7dLW.jpg

Alright i'll order a PCI-e card gonna take a bit to get here though unfortunately. Everyone I know either lives too far away for the effort or doesn't have anything haha

Edited by Eveenus, 13 July 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

If the router came configured to use IPv6, I think we can assume your ISP supports it. Maybe a call to them is in order to doublecheck. Or check their website for any documentation, if they have any, on their service.

Most Ethernet cables will be labeled somewhere along the outer plastic sheathing. The lettering may be faint, or dark and hard to spot. It will say something like Cat 5 or Cat.5

Is it just me, or are you getting slightly better uploads and downloads? It's hard to tell from just a few Wireshark screen captures, but it looks like you're not having quite as much trouble resolving external IP addresses. Might be worth running some speed tests, with the router's DNS set to the default, and then using Google DNS. I'd be interested in knowing what the before and after speeds are like: http://www.speedtest.net/

Also, did you check your TCP/IP settings and configuration? There's a good step-by-step here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169790

#15 Eveenus

Eveenus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

Oh wow, it's literally right there I just...yeah all the cables I have are Cat 5e

Oh my uploads are definitely better I can tell already jsut with the pictures i've been putting in the thread. Running speedtest the downloads are only marginally different 10.3 to 10.6 my uploads however go from 0.3 to 0.6 (mbps for everything)

I will do that when I'm not about to pass out, looks like a fairly long process (i'm assuming windows version doesn't matter for this, the damn site keeps telling me "this is for another version of windows" which is kind of annoying haha)

On a side note thanks again for all the help, even if the issue isn't fixed yet I'm already seeing improvements

Edited by Eveenus, 14 July 2014 - 07:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users