Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep Microsoft Updates

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 terryco

terryco

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

Can anyone tell me if its possible to return a Hewlett Packard PC with Vista Home Premium to Factory settings (or any pc come to that) but keep all Microsoft Updates? IE Service packs. A mate of mine had lots of viruses on his and asked me to restore it for him. I know from experience the updates take a long time and seeing the Pc is a few years old now, it would take ages. I wondered if it was possible. I have tried everything that's suggested to clean the pc of the infections but I now feel the easy route would be to start from scratch. I daresay there's no way to do it. Or is there? Thanks for any help.

Edited by terryco, 08 July 2014 - 01:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

Hi,

It's not possible, when you restore to factory settings the system is "reinstalled" to the state it was on the first time the machine was turned on.

To avoid all that trouble in the future it's recommended to do a full backup image of the system, using a free tool like Macrium Reflect, after all the updates was installed.

The are also free tools like Autopatcher that can download all the updates and create a DVD useful if you need to update several machines.

How about trying to clean the machine with the help of a Malware Expert? They can tell you if the infection is so serious that your only option is to format and reinstall or not.

If you want to try this option start a new topic on the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section.
Before you post please read Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help starting from Step 6.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

No, there's no way around re-installing all the MS updates. What you CAN do is to re-install Vista, install all the HP driver software, install all the updates Microsoft recommends and make an image of the system. When your mate has trouble again then he can take the image and restore the computer with that image. Then the system has all the updates in place. GOOGLE it on how to do that. Saves A LOT OF hassle.

Three things to keep in mind. Before making an image:

- Delete all (old) System Restore Points.

- Delete the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder. Contains LOTS of files after installing all Updates. (Windows will automatically create a new folder with appropriate content).

- HP puts all the system driver software (for sound, the touchpad, etc.) in the "C:\Swsetup" folder. Copy that entire folder to e.g. a USB stick. Can save A LOT OF future trouble.

#4 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the Info. I think ill restore it and leave it on for a couple of days to get the updates and then do a backup.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

- Delete the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder. Contains LOTS of files after installing all Updates. (Windows will automatically create a new folder with appropriate content).

Sorry Willy22 I don't agree with you this can mess Windows Update and also will remove all the updates from the list of installed updates!

After installing all the updates what can be safely deleted is all files inside c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the Info. I think ill restore it and leave it on for a couple of days to get the updates and then do a backup.

Good choice IMHO. :thumbup2:

___
Rui

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

@SleepyDude: Odd. I have used a program called "Windows Repair All In One" many times. This program deletes that particular subfolder but Win 7 never fails to reproduce the list of installed MS updates.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

Hi,

@SleepyDude: Odd. I have used a program called "Windows Repair All In One" many times. This program deletes that particular subfolder but Win 7 never fails to reproduce the list of installed MS updates.

I know that program I suppose it does that only when you try to repair Windows Update?

Check this Microsoft article here especially Method 8

Important The following issues occur when you use this method:

• Updates that are currently downloaded but that have not yet been installed have to be downloaded again by using Windows Update or Microsoft Update.
  • When you delete the Software Distribution folder, your download history is removed.
  • If you currently receive updates from Microsoft Update and from Windows Update, you will have to reselect this option from the Windows Update website.

Edited by SleepyDude, 09 July 2014 - 03:29 AM.

___
Rui

#9 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

You're right. When one deletes the entire "SoftwareDistribution" folder then Windows "forgets" which updates were downloaded. But I am not too worried. Windows still remembers which updates have been installed.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

You're right. When one deletes the entire "SoftwareDistribution" folder then Windows "forgets" which updates were downloaded. But I am not too worried. Windows still remembers which updates have been installed.

Yes because windows checks the registry and files to decide if a particular update is needed or not.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users