Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hardware Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 varun.busy

varun.busy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

All,

This is my first Forum and ofcourse first issue in front of all.

I have a ACER laptop, and it has few issues :

1) It never starts with start button, I have to press start button once and close the lid turn the laptop upside down, then it starts. :o

2) USB transfers are extremely slow...

3) System time always gets back to 1st April 2007 after every restart.

There are few more but I can live with those. :P

I am using Windows 7 ultimate.

Is this a problem with Motherboard ?

Amy suggestion (s) most welcome and will be appreciated :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

It sounds like you have some kind of electrical connection problem that would likely require taking it to a repair shop.  Turning a computer upside down to power on, then turning it right side up is risky because it could cause damage to the hard drive.  In a laptop most hard drives spin at 5400 RPM, and the read/write heads are extremely close to the disk platters, so the potential to cause damage is there with this procedure.

The problem with the date going back to 2007 is a symptom of a CMOS battery needing replacement.  These are coin sized and aren't expensive, usually less than $15.

The slow USB transfers could be caused by a number of things.  One thing that could help that would be to run a disk check.  Open Windows Explorer, right-click C:, and click Properties.  Then click the Tools tab and click the Check now button.  Click the button that says Scan for and attempt repair of bad sectors, then click Start.  This will run the next time you boot the laptop.  Be aware that it could take an hour or two to run, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 08 July 2014 - 09:43 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 varun.busy

varun.busy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

thanks for reply.. I will start with check disk...

Cmos battery  : I have already given a try.. after replacement problem still persists.. :( 

Electrical connection problem : I agree, lot of touch keys are not working, example Bluetooth, wifi etc... I am using Wifi with temporary solution :(  

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

Does this occur on battery and when plugged into the wall?

#5 varun.busy

varun.busy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

Well everything happens in both situation... On battery as well as on AC power..

One more point to add... Laptop never starts on battery... It has to plugged in to AC power supply and follow above mentioned step to power it ON.

After that it gives decent battery backup.. So I believe battery is not an issue..

Any further suggestions most welcome..

#6 varun.busy

varun.busy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

any input guys? 

#7 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Since there are a variety of issues I suggest a non-destructive reload of the OS. It's called the Repair option on the screen; you will need a Recovery disk or a Recovery partition on the HDD.

We really need to fix the system time issue. As long as the time is wonky all sorts of weird things can happen.

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

If the BIOS isn't keeping time: there is an short somewhere, BIOS is corrupt or the motherboard is damaged. I would mention the battery being dead but then we would be kicking a ... well.

One could flash the BIOS.

All else would require disassembling the machine for a careful inspection.

Acers are relatively east to rip apart. Plenty of documentation.

Edit: Forget flashing the BIOS. That machine needs to be broken down.

Edited by bludgard, 14 July 2014 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users