Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resource Monitor shows processes, which cannot be running anymore?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:43 AM

Some processes displayed on the Recourse Monitor cannot be running anymore (red marked), the files (red marked) are not existing anymore, the processes (e.g. downloading) have been finished (on the drive) and Thunderbird is closed, not shown on the Task Manager anymore, closed with the TM. But all of these processes use much RAM obviously, CPU, writing on the drive etc.

And what does the entry mean marked with the blue arrows? There seems to be something waiting for something all the time.

http://i.imgur.com/9B5b8jD.png

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

(No reply yet in this thread. Seems I am the only one on this website who is familiar with the german language. Bekommt  Deutschland die neue Fussball Welt Meister ?)

- You're really sure those programs/processes don't run any more ? You're sure those files aren't downloaded AGAIN ? You're sure those program aren't run by a Service ? The picture would suggest otherwise.

- The picture makes perfect sense. A process called "System" (PID 4) (=Process IDentification number 4) has a disk read/write speed of ~ 4.1 GB and the disk activity shows all those downloads (jDownload) are conducted by a program with PID 4 or "System" and have about the same disk read/write speed. (~ 5.1 GB). It also would explain the high data transfer to the disk in the chart (right hand side of the picture). At the same time Javaw.exe is running. It seems JDownload puts Javaw to work and Javaw puts "System" to work. "system" seems to do the "dirty" work of downloading. That doesn't surprise me because the system (also known as "Windows") takes care of all the incoming data/info and disk I/O.

- Some programs (e.g. Thunderbird) need to write data/info to disk even after they're closed. Seems they only close after they're sure all data buffers are written to disk. Again, no surprise here, because there're other processes running (downloads) that seem to have a higher priority. And it seems Thunderbird has to wait a little more before it can close itself.

- Some programs have the nasty habit of re-activating a Service when they are started and then won't stop that Service after the program has closed.

- The blue arrows points to the amount of data/bytes that still needs to be written to disk in the (near) future (e.g. Thunderbird ??) but that don't have a high/the highest priority.

This the explaination I come up when looking at the picture.

- Install a program called "Treesize Free". It can tell you where all the files are "hiding" and what size those folders & files have. It could confirm what picture of Resource Monitor is telling me right now, that those folders are filled once again. The picture also suggests that you need to restructure the way those downloaded files are stored. Seems you need to re-configure JDownload.

Edited by Willy22, 11 July 2014 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users