Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using external hard drive to runs games?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ComputersConfuseMe

ComputersConfuseMe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

(Just like to start off saying i'm horrid with anything related to computers) Okay, so I was thinking about buying an External hard drive with 1TB capacity, USB 3.0 interface, and Data transfer rates up to 480 Mbps . How well can you run games off of an external hard drive like that; I.E. 2-7 Gigabyte games like DOTA 2, League of Legends, or really big games like WoW? Would I be able to do that? How would the games run? And secondly, if the games would be able to run off the external hard drive, how would I go about doing that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Since most games have to go through the Windows install process, you wouldn't be able to do that with external drives because Windows won't install programs to external drives.  But if you have a desktop computer with a free drive bay, you could probably install a second hard drive internally and put the games on it.  You could also do a full system backup, replace your existing hard drive with one having a larger capacity.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

You may have issues with some games as wpgwpg mentioned.  I will tell you that WoW is not an issue.  You can simply copy an existing install to an external drive and run it.  I've only done this when I've been on vacation to collect my Christmas presents so other than it does work I can't give you much more of an idea of how well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users