Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Detected a Hard Disk Problem after factory reset?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jes1

jes1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:57 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5320, not that old at all. I tried downloading a game, and then got the BSOD. I had to reset my PC, lost everything I had, but ended up starting from scratch. Now, every so often, I'm getting a message saying "Windows detected a hard disk problem. Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss...". I right clicked on the "faulty" hard drive for error checking, no errors were found. I tried HD Tune Pro, and that's telling me "warning" for health status (05) Reallocated Sector Count (failed) is in red, and (C4) Reallocated Event Count (warning) is in yellow. Does this mean I have to replace the hard drive? The computer was working totally fine until that BSOD. Now it works and all but I keep getting that error message. The laptop is not that old really, and never any physical damage, but perhaps past warranty. I dont really have anything left to back up, since I lost everything when I reset it to factory state. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

I'm afraid it doesn't sound good for that hard drive.  You could run Speccy which you can download from here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/ and look at the SMART data for your drive.    After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.  

For more information about the drive, you could download hard drive diagnostics form the Seagate or Western Digital web site and run them.  I've used Seatools from Seagate a good bit.

If you have to replace that drive, you'll probably lose the recovery partition, so be prepared for that.  Your user guide should have info on how to create the recovery discs if you haven't already done that.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 jes1

jes1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5WsMC3xfjTADaOp4bCDn5nK

I hope that's what you're looking for.

I had a little trouble yesterday, computer started acting really slow, freezing up. I am now running a chkdsk (as admin) on drive C, using the switches /f /v /r /x. It asked to run on next reboot, which it is, but it's now on the black toshiba startup page (not a command prompt screen) so I cant see anything except for that its scanning and repairing, it got to 27% pretty fast but has been stuck there for about 10 hours now. I'm not sure if its stuck or not, so I'm going to let it be for a while, & see what happens. Thanks for trying to help.

#4 varun.busy

varun.busy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

as per report u need a HDD replacement I believe... :(

#5 jes1

jes1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

as per report u need a HDD replacement I believe... :(

Doesnt make much sense tho... It's less than 2 years old, always took great care of it, and never had any issues with anything until downloading that game. I really believe something is just messed up on it. If not, then it was a terrible purchase and I will never buy another Toshiba product again, because that's ridiculous.

#6 varun.busy

varun.busy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

well... I believe Hitachi HDD comes with Three year warranty... 

use below link to test your internal drive and claim warranty if applicable...

http://www.hgst.com/portal/site/en/support/warranty/

Also if you want you can try resetting HDD if you want.... Might help.. 

#7 jes1

jes1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

Thanks, I will give it a shot later when I get home. 

And as I said in my original post, I already tried resetting the hard drive, which worked, no more BSOD, lost all my files, but was able to get to desktop at least, but now everything must be outdated, the updates are not working, and now I'm getting that dreaded "windows detected a hard disk problem". 

#8 varun.busy

varun.busy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

I am sorry but I believe you misunderstood me... :)

By resetting hard drive I actually mean shut down your laptop>>open hard disk slot on back >> pull out HDD >> put it back in.

Very rare chance that it will solve the issue but worth a try if your test comes as bad HDD and serial number shows it is out of warranty.

Also note that you need to put physical serial number on website, in report it is logical serial number(120912TE95113Q0M1PNS)which is not pulling any data.

Best of luck and I hope your HDD is healthy and if not it is in warranty 

:)

#9 jes1

jes1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

Ok, sorry about that. Is that the correct site to check serial number tho? Wouldn't it be off the Toshiba website? I tried putting in the numbers too but it said invalid serial number. Something's not adding up there.

Right now it's still going through a chkdsk, I'll give it a little more time before attempting anything else. Not sure if the chkdsk is stuck or just going to take a long time. We shall see. 

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

I see you've already gotten some good advice from varun.busy which I agree with.  The key to this is the part of that Speccy report that says

"S.M.A.R.T

Bad

The SMART data is maintained by the hard drive's controller to indicate the current status of the drive.  Since it says "Status: Bad", that's why we say you need to replace that drive.  If you have anything on it you don't want to lose, you'd better back it up ASAP because that drive could just stop working any time.  This isn't an absolute, sometimes the drive will keep working for a while, it's more of a probability that it's got a serious malady.  

I'd be sure I had the wherewithal to reload my system onto a new drive ASAP.  I always use Easeus Todo Backup Free to make a full system backup to an external hard drive.  That allows me to recover my whole system including Windows, apps, and data by restoring to the new hard drive when I have to.

Good luck. 

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#11 jes1

jes1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Well, since I did a factory reset, there's nothing to back up on it.

Ugh, so I guess I'll give it some time to see if chkdsk can repair, then check warranty, then I'll try the unplug recommendation. Then if all else fails, I guess I'll have to replace, which is a whole different monster. I have no idea how to do that. I'm guessing its a lot more than just taking old one out, putting new one in, then starting right up.

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

It's not a whole lot more than that if you have the full system backup on an external drive like I mentioned above.  You just have the extra step of restoring your backup to the new drive.  Takes less than 30 minutes.  However if you DON'T have the backup, it can definitely be more complicated. 

#13 jes1

jes1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

Ok I'm confused. You said " If you have anything on it you don't want to lose, you'd better back it up ASAP".. But I dont have anything on it at all. 

#14 jes1

jes1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

So I still have to back everything up if I'm replacing the hard drive? I want to start fresh, but the PC has windows 8 already pre-installed on it.

And how am I supposed to check the warranty if it's telling me it's an invalid serial number?

#15 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

This should help you find the serial # location for the laptop. http://support.toshiba.com/support/family?fname=Satellite

Click on Where's my model or serial number for example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users