Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.AVI Videos No Longer Play on my PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 faye raye

faye raye

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Hello.  In the past, .avi videos always played fine on my XP PC, but lately, they haven't been. They download fine, and they play fine when I put them on other devices, but on the PC, the player loads, and just stays blank. I have two media players, BTW, Windows Media Player and MediaImpression player.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

vlc might still work, i find that on windows 8 videos ( in avi format and others) that won't play at all in windows media player (or only play as audio) work perfectly in VLC. as for the fact you system has changed it's behaviour from playing to failing to play, can you remember any changes you made around the time of the system deciding it would no longer play avi videos.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 faye raye

faye raye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

Hm, I seem to have discovered that videos I downloaded from Youtube still play in .avi, but videos downloaded from ClipConverter don't. I suppose that's it!

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

i use clipconverter.cc so i know more about this exact issue than i previously thought it did. i usually download in avi (because it's the most reliable and universal format) and the videos do not open with windows media player (or rather they play the sound but not the pics), i also find when using youtube downloaded (via clipconverter) videos in blender(a cgi program) the sound works there but not always the pictures. i can't be sure why clipconverter videos won't work in mediaplayer but i know this effect happens with other avi videos on my computer as well (some which i have rendered out from blender) but avi videos from my camera still play fine in mediaplayer. i'm guessing it must be something to do with the coding inside the avi video (PAL,NTSC,etc) and that some of these won't work in windows mediaplayer. if i knew more about details of how video formats really work i could find a reason but using vlc to play them should atleast give a solution, if you can get the converter function inside vlc to work then you could convert the videos to a type of avi file the windows can play properly. as for your use of clipconverter you didn't by an chance download the download manager they sometimes offer on the video download page, rumours say it is adware/spyware/malware so best to uncheck that offer, it goes away after unchecking once or twice. also with your use of clipconverter it's good for video download from youtube but quite unnecessary for format conversions, if you already have another means of youtube download then you needn't use it, if that other means doesn't work then get vlc and you should be able to make the clipconverter vids function.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 madinshy

madinshy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:15 AM

According to Microsoft Official Website, Windows Media Player does support playing AVI videos. If your Windows Media Player won't play AVI, two reasons cause the issue:

Reason one: Windows Media Player doesn't support the video codec in AVI file. AVI (Audio Video Interleaved) is a container format designed by Microsoft, used to wrap audio and video streams together. These audio and video streams can be compressed by various codec. During the days AVI format comes into being, WMP supports all video codecs that can be used in AVI file. After that, more and more new codecs, like Xvid, DivX, MPEG-4, are invented and used in AVI file, but WMP doesn't support them.

Reason Two: Your AVI files are corrupt. Play them on other players and devices to check if this is the reason.

Two solutions:

Solution one: install some AVI Codecs to make WMP support AVI files.

Solution two: convert AVI to WMP more compatible formats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users