Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating to Win 8.1 confusion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

I don’t have Windows 8 yet I’m hoping you can help me clarify how I interpreting Win8 to Win8.1 updates so I can give decent answers to my family and friends who have Windows 8

According to http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2014/05/12/windows-8-1-update-requirement-extended.aspx dated May 12 2014 “it’s been almost a month since we released the Windows 8.1 Update”. That statement has me confused: according to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Win 8.1 date of general availability was Oct 18, 2013

--- Does that mean the Win 8.1 update wasn’t available to the public until about a month before May 12 2014 but 8.1 computers became available Oct 18, 2013?

In that same article “we’ve decided to extend the requirement for our consumer customers to update their devices to the Windows 8.1 Update in order to receive security updates another 30 days to June 10th

--- The people I know who have 8 say they did not know that

Then “As noted previously, consumer customers who do not update their Windows 8.1 devices to the Windows 8.1 Update by this new deadline will no longer receive updates” is also included

--- I’m not aware “As noted previously” happened.

------ But it’s well past June 10, so I suppose anyone still using Win8, do not receive security updates anymore

------ Note that “by this new deadline will no longer receive updates” doesn’t state security updates but I just want to make sure I’m interpreting the information properly as I see it

I guess the bottom line is anyone on Windows 8 better get going on updating to Win 8.1

--- Is Win 8.1 included for those who have Automatic Windows Updates scheduled?

I would think that anyone who has trouble updating to Win8.1 should be able to contact Microsoft and Microsoft should provide free help for the update; it is their system

--- Am I being too naïve on this?

--- I think having a Microsoft account is necessary for any who contacts Microsoft for help on updating their OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

Funnily enough I happened to read an article about this earlier - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/14/microsoft_version_of_windows_you_probably_havent_upgraded_to_yet_is_already_obsolete/

What I understood from it (which may be wrong!!) is:

- If you are running Windows 8.1, then unless you have the "April Update" pack (Update KB 2919355) installed, you will not now receive security updates.  If you are running Windows 8.1 and have automatic updates enabled, you will have the update pack installed.  It's only users who manually update who have to concern themselves with this really.

- If you are running Windows 8 (not 8.1) then there was no "April Update" pack and hence no issue.

To upgrade to Windows 8.1 from 8 has to be done through the MS Store, which requires a Microsoft account, even though it's free of charge.  It's not done via normal software updates.  If you update from 8 to 8.1 now, you will automatically have the above update applied.

I'm not sure if you need a Microsoft account to contact MS for support. I would have thought having a valid licensed retail copy was enough, but I don't really know.  OEM licenses don't come with any entitlement to technical support from Microsoft - support has to be provided by the computer manufacturer.

Edited by jonuk76, 07 July 2014 - 08:15 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Thanks jonuk76 especially for the KB2919355 reference as I wanted to know that but forgot to ask about what to look for

Now I'll be able to help my friend who lives the next town over and my cousin in VA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users