Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing the windows 7 bright and ugly startup screen with something else

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 houyhnhnm

houyhnhnm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

I want to change that startup monstrosity and there are plenty of websites that explain how to do it by tweaking

the Registry.  And I understand what they are explaining....no problem there.  Except, at one point, I am told

to go to C:\windows\system32\oboo and make a certain change there.  Except, I do not have "oboo" in system32.

I bought my HP laptop brand new last week and have barely used it.   Why is this missing ?  Any ideas ? 

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

I think you want the oobe folder c:\windows\system32\oobe

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

There is a file in the called 'background.bmp' in the folder c:\windows\system32\oobe which is the 'Welcome' screen background. If you really wish to replace this then you need an appropriately sized image of your choice, the one in my version of Win 7 is 1024 x 768 pixcels.

I would suggest you create a folder called oobe_old somewhere and copy this file to it. Then delete the file. Rename your image 'background.bmp' - note it needs to be in bitmap format to be certain it will work. A JPEG might work, but there are no guarrantees. Then copy / paste your image into the oobe folder.

Personally I find it quite an attractive image, and it is not visible for very long. But it's your computer, it's your choice.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users