Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Not Working After Avast Scan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 afrolawnmower

afrolawnmower

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hi all,

I've recently run a full virus scan on my Windows 7 PC using Avast  (free version) and for some reason the Internet doesn't work. Here are my observations
  • I can connect to my router (which works with other devices). In windows it says it's connected with Internet Access. Also doesn't work if I try connected to other routers. 
  • In all browsers I get a "This webpage is not available" message, or something similar. For example in Chrome, in the status bar it gets as far as "Resolving Host.." then I can the error.
  • Tried using "Complete Internet Repair" Tool, with all options selected. No luck
  • Uninstalling Avast doesn't work
  • Have the same issue in Safe Mode (with networking enabled) - no luck
I need to desperately get my internet back up work purposes and I don't know why software that is supposed to enable my computer has effectively disabled it. 

Any help with this would be is most appreciated, I'll be very grateful! :)

Thanks

Adrian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

Hello and Welcome,

Since you did the Internet Repair, the following may not work. Malware can mess with Winsock and Tcp/ip

Type CMD in the search box. Right click "Run As Administrator"

At the prompt type: Enter after each command

netsh winsock reset catalog 
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Reboot. See if you can connect.

#3 afrolawnmower

afrolawnmower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

Thanks John for the suggestion

No luck I'm afraid. Although running Malware Bytes does bring up 50 odd threats. I run the cleaner and they are still they're after I reboot!

Any other thoughts?

Adrian 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

If the threats are still there after reboot, I would start a thread in the 

Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum

Be sure to read the sticky at the top of the Forum. You have to post a couple of attachments per the instructions along with an explanation of what you have done so far. Good Luck,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users