Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Imac keeps switching off

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 madpc

madpc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hi I have been given an imac which is mine if I can fix it.
The problem is it keeps switching its self off. I have removed the extra memory that was in and put back the original memory so it is back to how it came in the box.
I have also wiped the hard drive and re installed the original os which is leopard .
When I boot up it will sit there all day but if I click a few times with the middle button it will turn off. Or if I go into settings and play with the size of the icons it switches off. Also the keyboard doesn't appear to work properly but I have tried a different keyboard and mouse with the same results.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

Hi I have been given an imac which is mine if I can fix it.
The problem is it keeps switching its self off. I have removed the extra memory that was in and put back the original memory so it is back to how it came in the box.
I have also wiped the hard drive and re installed the original os which is leopard .
When I boot up it will sit there all day but if I click a few times with the middle button it will turn off. Or if I go into settings and play with the size of the icons it switches off. Also the keyboard doesn't appear to work properly but I have tried a different keyboard and mouse with the same results.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem please

What specific model iMac is it?

Mainly trying to determine if it is an Intel iMac or PowerPC iMac. That will then lead to some options to try.

#3 techgeek88

techgeek88

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

Sounds to me like it's probably an iMac G5 - which are notorious for bad power supplies and also blowing caps on the logic board. They had a LOT of QC issues with the iMac G5.

If you've wiped and reinstalled, that pretty much guarantees it's hardware.

A PRAM reset in this case (for both PPC and Intel) is not going to be of much use.

If it is an iMac G5 (white), then you can try resetting the SMU as a last chance resort. This works for all generations of the iMac G5

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1767 - How to reset SMU on an iMac G5.

You can get iMac power supplies fairly inexpensively secondhand on eBay but if it's the logic board it's not going to be of much use and you are better off canning it (getting rid of it).

When you open it to do the SMU reset if it is a first gen iMac G5, look for any bulging or leaking caps. If you see them, it's usually game over.

If you do the SMU reset and see no leaking/bulging caps and it still does it, you could try a new power supply.

I only say this because I still have an iMac G5 in use. :)

If it isn't an iMac G5 let me know and if you can't find out the model, take a pic so I can have some idea on what model it is and provide you with other instructions.

HTH.

Edited by techgeek88, 08 July 2014 - 01:23 AM.

#4 madpc

madpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:40 AM

smax013- when I get home from work I will get the specific model for you.

techgeek88 my imac is not the G5 model. it is silver & was bought in 2009. I will try the SMU reset for the hell of it. you never know

thanks

#5 madpc

madpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

ok model identifier says iMac9.1 with an intel processor

trying the SMU reset now. fingers crossed

#6 madpc

madpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

no luck with the SMU reset. it did blow all the dust out of the computer cos the fan went daft & I had to unplug it again to get it to turn off

#7 techgeek88

techgeek88

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Just looked, it's an Early 2009 iMac (according to iMac 9.1).

I believe if the reset didn't work, that it's likely the logic board..... It could be bad RAM or a hard drive, but you'd have to put money into it or find spares to try to try that. If it's the logic board, it's not worth fixing IMHO. I just found a replacement online for $200 bucks. But you'd have to put it in and I can tell you from experience - a logic board replacement on ANY Apple product notebook or desktop is very, very tedious.

#8 madpc

madpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

Thanks for the reply techgeek88

I phoned up apple & it is just under 5 years old so thy have agreed to test it for free :grinner:  to see what is wrong. once I know then a decision can be made. if it is the logic board then I am probably going to source a one on the internet & fix it myself as the have told me a new one will be £450 to £500 which is a bit more than I want to spend.

I will let you know how I get on

Edited by madpc, 11 July 2014 - 02:19 AM.

#9 madpc

madpc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:30 AM

I have it fixed. took it into the apple store & they tested it. told them if it was the logic board then don't bother fixing it cos I don't want to spend £500 on a 5 year old computer. got a call from them on Saturday to say they had located the problem & fixed it. It was the graphics card had died so now I have a working imac :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

thanks for all your advice guys

#10 techgeek88

techgeek88

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Awesome! AppleCare is very, very good. They've saved me plenty of times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users